Renamed: Guitar itself is picking up buzz/interference

Buzzing stops when I turn any of my guitars down. It happens regardless of guitar, cord, or location. In the video I posted above, you can hear the buzzing as a note is being played. So the buzz doesn't go away when I play a note or chord...it's always there.

Does it go away when you turn your guitar volume down?

Yes. Noise gate was off so as to not mask any potential hardware related issues. I'll also note that the buzzing doesn't go away when I play a note or chord...it keeps buzzing along with whatever I'm playing.

Read my reply to him above. He had his noise gate in input 1 set to Off

I have 4 different presets with multiple scenes for my live rig. My "main" preset and scene I use the Brit 800 mod #34 amp. Out of all of the different amps and configurations I use, this is the one that gives me the most "noise". In my case, I have a problem at a particular venue. At home, our rehearsal space and other venues, I have very few issues. I still get noise because it's a noisy amp, but it's really bad at this one venue. The venue is known for having dirty power. I solved it by plugging in a HumX. 90% of the noise disappeared. I also adjust the global noise gate offset to clean things up when I am not playing. Also, my pickups are hot and pick up a lot of EMI. Like others have mentioned, if you turn your volume down and the noise goes away, there is nothing wrong with your unit. Try switching to a clean amp and see if you have the same level of noise. The noise is coming from the input BEFORE it gets to the fractal.

Yes. Noise gate was off so as to not mask any potential hardware related issues. I'll also note that the buzzing doesn't go away when I play a note or chord...it keeps buzzing along with whatever I'm playing.
Correct the noise is not going to go away once you strike a note. Gain his is always there on any amp, this the noise gate. The noise gate is for the purpose of us not having to listen to the annoying buzz when we are NOT playing but the volume knob is wide open. Once you strike a note the gate opens allowing all the gain noise as well as the note you are playing to be heard. But that’s just normal, the noise although it may be annoying really wasn’t bad at all in my mind except when playing, actually when not playing either, mine is WAY louder than that as my presets are exponentially hotter than the one you posted. I am happy to record a clip of my 5153 cranked w a tube screamer in front of it without the gate so you can hear the same thing, only worse, cuz for me gain is my crutch, and I use a LOT haha!

Anyway, in my opinion there is nothing wrong at all w the unit. The noise in your clip in my experience is just typical gain noise when the volume is wide open and nothing is being played, especially if you aren’t touching the strings, then it’s off the chart.

Back in the day when I ran my modded Marshall’s on eleven w an MXR 10 band in front of it, the Hush2c noise gate I used was maxed. But the bottom line is as soon as you let go of the strings the gate opens, but your playing overrides any buzz at that point. As soon as you stop playing the buzz comes back but the noise gate shuts it down till the next time you strike a string.

It is what it is in my book. I certainly wouldn’t be asking for a support ticket as there is nothing for them to fix. Set it at 30-60 and forget it.

My 2 cents.

I have 4 different presets with multiple scenes for my live rig. My "main" preset and scene I use the Brit 800 mod #34 amp. Out of all of the different amps and configurations I use, this is the one that gives me the most "noise". In my case, I have a problem at a particular venue. At home, our rehearsal space and other venues, I have very few issues. I still get noise because it's a noisy amp, but it's really bad at this one venue. The venue is known for having dirty power. I solved it by plugging in a HumX. 90% of the noise disappeared. I also adjust the global noise gate offset to clean things up when I am not playing. Also, my pickups are hot and pick up a lot of EMI. Like others have mentioned, if you turn your volume down and the noise goes away, there is nothing wrong with your unit. Try switching to a clean amp and see if you have the same level of noise. The noise is coming from the input BEFORE it gets to the fractal.
+1. Nothing wrong w the unit.

A quick check to determine if it's environmental EMI is to just spin around. If the amount of buzz changes when you're facing a different direction, then it's environmental. If the buzz is constant, then you've got a grounding issue somewhere. Either inside the unit or with the power connection.

Not quite sure why this question is going around the wheel again. The test I did earlier in this thread as well as several others' input, and your own tests (buzz gone when guitar volume off) have confirmed pretty solidly that the buzz source is from the guitars / guitar cable end - not Axfx (tho Axfx can amplify it in varying ways). So what is the question at this point? - I'm assuming it is why your guitars seem to be susceptible to noise?

Edit: A note about gates from my experience: Gates are not a way to eliminate noise, they are only a way to "cover it up" (maybe "ignore it" is a better term) and only when one is not playing (which is why many place priority on finding and eliminating as much noise as possible at it's source rather than just trying to gate it out).

Last edited:
Not quite sure why this question is going around the wheel again. The test I did earlier in this thread as well as several others input, and your own tests (buzz gone when guitar volume off) have confirmed pretty solidly that the buzz source is from the guitars / guitar cable end - not Axfx (tho Axfx can amplify in varying ways). So what is the question at this point? - I'm assuming it is why your guitars seem to be susceptible to noise?
+1. Ya, thought I put it to rest, oh well lol.

I appreciate all of the input and feedback. Hopefully this thread will be helpful to future users searching for answers to these questions. Ya’ll are awesome! Thank you. 🤘

Back
Top Bottom