Renamed: Guitar itself is picking up buzz/interference

I can't emphasize this enough:
If turning volume on your guitar down lessons the noise, that's where it's coming from, your guitar.
If it was your Axe, that wouldn't have any effect.

The one incredibly long shot possibility I can think of is that the ground connection to the input jack on the Axe may have come loose. I asked earlier if you've tried a different amp or modeler with a similar amount of gain, which could confirm that or rule it out, but I don't think you answered.

If turning volume on your guitar down lessons the noise, that's where it's coming from, your guitar.
Of course, but different models may intensify that noise more or less depending on the model - as mentioned above, with the guitar I'm testing with, "Brit 800 Mod" intensifies that buzz originating from my guitar much more than other Brit models, which is probably correct for that model - doesn't look to me like there's any issue here, at least in an Ax3 context - maybe something more going on in FM9 but the vid matches what I hear in Ax3.

Last edited:
Of course, but different models may intensify that noise more or less depending on the model - as mentioned above, with the guitar I'm testing with, "Brit 800 Mod" intensifies that buzz originating from my guitar much more than other Brit models, which is probably correct for that model - doesn't look to me like there's any issue here, at least in an Ax3 context - maybe something more going on in FM9 but the vid matches what I hear in Ax3.
I'd suggest playing around w/ your noise gate. I've owned many over the years & nothing does what the Fractal can do. It's simply amazing!

I tried the patch as well just now... on my end, the buzz is there, but doesn't strike me as abnormal (at least normal for a high gain guitar amp.) I will say, however, that it does not sound like the video. To my ears, that seems over the top in the video, and I agree that it could be something with the ground on the input jack.

Edit: If I split the coils of the humbucker... then it does indeed become that offensive.

Thanks again all for your comments and support. It brings me some satisfaction that others are experiencing similar results. A few more things of interest:
  • Buzzing sound happens even if no amp and cab are in the chain. I built a scene with just an Input and Output and a Filter in between to raise the gain. As the gain increases, so does the buzz. This happened with all 4 guitars I tried (2 PRS CEs, Gibson SG, Ibanez 2550).
  • I tried Input 2 and get the same result.
  • Tried headphone out and get the same result in the headphones.
Solving this issue with a noise gate is feasible, but want to identify if its hardware issue first.

I will attempt to recreate using my AFX3 later this evening and report back.

Again, I appreciate all of the help!

Thanks again Dave for taking the time to respond. Appreciate the support.

Is there any way to test the ground on the input jacks of the FM9?

I can't emphasize this enough:
If it was your Axe, that wouldn't have any effect.

The one incredibly long shot possibility I can think of is that the ground connection to the input jack on the Axe may have come loose. I asked earlier if you've tried a different amp or modeler with a similar amount of gain, which could confirm that or rule it out, but I don't think you answered.

Much appreciated! Can you try one more test? Create a scene with an Input and Output and place a Filter block in between. Slowly increase the Output Gain on the Filter block and let me know if you start to hear a buzz intensify.

If you start to hear a buzz, I can have some confidence that my unit is fine.

Thank you in advance!

Loading this to my Ax3 I get the exact same buzz with humbuckers. Looks to me like the buzz is just inherent to the "Brit 800 Mod" amp model's gain and how it translates guitar signal (other Brit Models don't seem to exhibit this buzz nearly as much if at all with the same guitar), If I create a new preset from scratch with just: input1 (no gate) > amp > output, I get that nasty buzz with the amp settings @ default. The cab selection used will vary the tone of the buzz somewhat, and that comp2 in your preset definitely intensifies it. Looks to me like it's the nature of that amp model + guitar (with my guitar volume all the way down, the buzz goes away).

Much appreciated! Can you try one more test? Create a scene with an Input and Output and place a Filter block in between. Slowly increase the Output Gain on the Filter block and let me know if you start to hear a buzz intensify.

If you start to hear a buzz, I can have some confidence that my unit is fine.

Thank you in advance!
Yes - with just a flat filter block between Input1 (no gate) and Output1, I start hearing the buzz from my humbucker (I guess not greatly shielded) guitar at around +15Db on the filter's level control (monitoring thru studio monitors). This is what I would expect - with a gained amp block there, the buzz is intensified, more so with some amp models (ie Brit 800 Mod) in comparison to others (depends on the gain character of
the model maybe?).

I THINK I KNOW WHAT IT IS. Look at your input 1. Your threshold is set to zero. Meaning when you aren't playing you are going to hear all the noise and hiss. As soon as I raised it it disappeared. Pic 1 is your input 1 values, and pic 2 is mine. I run HOT so I have my threshold at 60. If I put it at zero it sounds just like your preset. Anyway thats my opinion. Increase the threshold and it will all go away.Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 9.16.11 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-04-03 at 9.16.31 AM.png

Thank you for running this little test for me. It sounds like what I’m experiencing is normal behavior for the unit. I appreciate the effort in helping to track down any gremlins.

Yes - with just a flat filter block between Input1 (no gate) and Output1, I start hearing the buzz from my humbucker (I guess not greatly shielded) guitar at around +15Db on the filter's level control (monitoring thru studio monitors). This is what I would expect - with a gained amp block there, the buzz is intensified, more so with some amp models (ie Brit 800 Mod) in comparison to others (depends on the gain character of
the model maybe?).

Thanks so much for the reply. I intentionally shut off the threshold in the input block and disabled the noise gate to diagnose whether the buzz I was hearing was normal. I didn’t want to mask any potential issues with my FM9 by using a noise gate in the diagnosis phase.

Appreciate the input! Sounds like from other responses I’m experiencing normal behavior and will reactivate the noise gate to control for the excessive noise.

I THINK I KNOW WHAT IT IS. Look at your input 1. Your threshold is set to zero. Meaning when you aren't playing you are going to hear all the noise and hiss. As soon as I raised it it disappeared. Pic 1 is your input 1 values, and pic 2 is mine. I run HOT so I have my threshold at 60. If I put it at zero it sounds just like your preset. Anyway thats my opinion. Increase the threshold and it will all go away.View attachment 138033View attachment 138034

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the reply. I intentionally shut off the threshold in the input block and disabled the noise gate to diagnose whether the buzz I was hearing was normal. I didn’t want to mask any potential issues with my FM9 by using a noise gate in the diagnosis phase.

Appreciate the input! Sounds like from other responses I’m experiencing normal behavior and will reactivate the noise gate to control for the excessive noise.
Ya I mean it's not normal behavior for this unit, its normal behavior for ANYTHING. When you crank an amp and add gain and drives, it creates noise, this a noise gate. And then you set the threshold so you dont her the noise when you aren't playing. Secondary to that when I initially listened, it gave me the impression that your hands were not on the instrument. When you are not touching the guitar with gain and volume you will get a buzzing/hum. Just the way it is since the beginning of time ha!

SO ya, there is nothing at all wrong with your unit. Just gradually move the threshold up while holding your strings quiet until the noise goes away

🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼

Ya I mean it's not normal behavior for this unit, its normal behavior for ANYTHING. When you crank an amp and add gain and drives, it creates noise, this a noise gate. And then you set the threshold so you dont her the noise when you aren't playing. Secondary to that when I initially listened, it gave me the impression that your hands were not on the instrument. When you are not touching the guitar with gain and volume you will get a buzzing/hum. Just the way it is since the beginning of time ha!

SO ya, there is nothing at all wrong with your unit. Just gradually move the threshold up while holding your strings quiet until the noise goes away

🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼
+1 - but different models do seem to translate noise differently, so experimenting with different models within an amp family might yeild less noise to have to fight with gates while providing very similar sounds - a lot of my hi-gain presets using other models use little or no gate and are quite quiet, but I'm a basement hacker so not the same as in this scenario + it varies with different guitars.

+1 - but different models do seem to translate noise differently, so experimenting with different models within an amp family might yeild less noise to have to fight with gates while providing very similar sounds - a lot of my hi-gain presets using other models use little or no gate and are quite quiet, but I'm a basement hacker so not the same as in this scenario + it varies with different guitars.
You folks are overthinking which models emphasize EMI noises more.
  • More gain = more noise
  • More gain at the frequencies where there's more noise = more noise

Really doubt it's more complicated than that, and if there are other factors, I bet those drown them out by quite a bit.

You folks are overthinking which models emphasize EMI noises more.
  • More gain = more noise
  • More gain at the frequencies where there's more noise = more noise

Really doubt it's more complicated than that, and if there are other factors, I bet those drown them out by quite a bit.
Not me lol. Threshold, set it and forget it

Im probably wrong, but gee that sounds like interference from light dimmers, or some other PWm controlled voltage. Is it possible you have light dimmers,either on your mains, or on (for example) a led light in a rack or something?
Thanks
Pauly
I made another recording. The annoying buzz happens while I'm playing. Is this considered normal?

Im probably wrong, but gee that sounds like interference from light dimmers, or some other PWm controlled voltage. Is it possible you have light dimmers,either on your mains, or on (for example) a led light in a rack or something?
Thanks
Pauly
Read my reply to him above. He had his noise gate in input 1 set to Off

Just took this video to answer some of your questions. Let me know what you think. Can't stress how much I appreciate the support from this group.

Back
Top Bottom