Removing rubber feet from MFC

bishop5150

Fractal Fanatic
Any issues with removing the rubber feet so I can attach it my Pedaltrain with Velcro? Do I need to put screws back in like I did on my FX8 and AX8?

There's a thread about that, about the sizes of the screws
Look out that the screws don't touch anything. They are probably too long now w/o the feet

I think I remember from the previous thread that you can use all the same screws except the middle back screw as it gets too close to electronics. I put all the screws on my MFC back in except the middle back and it seems to work well.

I had (and still have) an issue. Two of the screws weren't aligned properly during assembly, and I had to apply force to unscrew them. One went out, but when I tried the other problematic one, something snapped inside and it's now loose with whatever nut holds it inside. So I ended up mounting my MFC with the rubber feet on.

On mine the screw were threaded into the casing. There were no loose nuts. If something's loose inside then why not take all the screws out, open the box, and take the loose piece out?

If something's loose inside then why not take all the screws out, open the box, and take the loose piece out?

Hm, probably I didn't explain it clearly enough. I cannot remove anything without cutting the screw somehow. The screw doesn't turn in whatever it is screwed into. That whatever is inside the MFC. Even if I disassemble it and manage to hold this "nut" tightly with something, the Phillips head on the screw will not allow me to apply sufficient force to unscrew it. This screw was totally screwed up during assembly at the factory. And I don't have the tools necessary to cut screws. So I left it as is for the time being. If I change my pedalboard to something where I use Velcro, I'll need to take care of this somehow.

In addition to that, with evidence of assembly line sloppiness and bad design, I really don't feel like touching any additional screws unless I absolutely have to. Also, if I disassemble it, I'll lose my warranty.

As for the screw threaded into the casing. I think that it's not done this way. It's threaded into a nut that is most probably spot welded on the internal side of the casing. That spot welding isn't very tough, and it just gave when I tried to remove that screw.

Basically, my message to the OP is - if the screws turn easily, fine. If not, be very careful as even moderate force can break the thing the screw is threaded into.

To Fractal I'd say that these damned legs should be made to be removed easier than this, and there shouldn't be any electronics where the screws enter the casing. Obviously a lot of people need to mount their controllers on various pedalboards, and the design should be friendlier for these scenarios.

Last edited:
Yikes! I bet you could *carefully* cut that screw off using a dremel with a disc cutter. You would definitely want to open the case and find the loose nut.

I bet you could *carefully* cut that screw off using a dremel with a disc cutter

I could, if I had it. I don't feel like buying one just for that one damned screw. Like I said, if I change the pedalboard mounting method to Velcro, I'll have to.

You would definitely want to open the case and find the loose nut.

It's held by the screw, so it's not moving freely inside the casing, it won't damage or short circuit anything. Right now it's an annoyance, not a risk, thankfully.

I cannot locate another thread that specifically addresses the MFC and whether or not the original screws are too long when installed without the feet. There is a definitive thread for the AX8. Most comments on the MFC that I see are speculation.

Well, if a screw doesn't fit, is it speculation?

They are too long. At least some of them.

I don't have the chassis open, so I can't see if the screw is going to contact or damage something. So, I don't know if it's too long or not. I would rather not chance it.

Let the speculation continue as I can say I took off the rubber feet on mine (mark 3) about 4-5 months ago, and put the screws back in. If they're too long I guess I got lucky as I felt no resistance putting them back in and haven't seen any ill effects with the unit as a result.

I pulled the feet off mine and ran the screws back in through a piece of architectural panel about 5/16" thick. I have the MFC and everything else mounted on this panel with the screws from the feet of the various pedals (sans feet). No velcro, as it wasn't strong enough. Then, I mount the entire panel in a case similar to this, but larger, using 6 strategically placed 1/4-20 x 5/8" nuts/bolts. Makes for a very sturdy construction. Everything's where I left it when I open the case after moving it.

But, to answer the question raised back a few posts, if memory serves the screws are self-tappers that run into the sheet metal of the MFC enclosure. There's no backup nut welded in there. It also means the holes are easy to strip, as there's very little thread there. Finally, the length won't be a problem. There's no internal interference. But, I did all this a couple years ago and only did it once, so my memory may not be perfect.

Let the speculation continue as I can say I took off the rubber feet on mine (mark 3) about 4-5 months ago, and put the screws back in. If they're too long I guess I got lucky as I felt no resistance putting them back in and haven't seen any ill effects with the unit as a result.
Same here, I feel stupid for the risk but I have no technical issue.

Same here, I feel stupid for the risk but I have no technical issue.

If you have no issue than what's the risk?

When the screw stops at something, it stops. Unless you're applying some crazy force you'll feel it there's no way to miss it. You cannot mistake it for getting stuck in the thread.

Just be aware that as I said earlier, the screws are just threaded into sheet metal, so don't go torqueing them in with your 18v Makita drill motor with a screwdriver bit in the chuck. Use a hand screwdriver or you're liable to strip the holes.

Back
Top Bottom