Wish Remove the loud clap when turning on/off

Also, turning down the physical LEVEL knobs before powering on should decrease the volume of the pop.
This doesn't help. Only reducing the volume on the receiving end helps, such as when the FM3 is plugged in the external interface.

Virtually all pro systems turn things on and off in the proper order to avoid this.
Power amps or powered speakers on last, off first.
It may not matter in many cases, but that's the most conservative way to go, and definitely what you should do if you're hearing bad noises.

Not in the live situation, not during the song
Also, not such a good idea at home too, tbh :)
why would you turn the unit off/on during a song, and not before?

Sound person should have you muted in house until the performance starts, so plugging in and turning on the unit should not cause a pop to be coming through the house speakers. That's a sound person issue, not an FM9 issue, as that would happen with anything you have plugged into the mixer that you turn on.

The Axe3 has the soft power up feature. I don’t know if it’s hardware or software

Most audio devices like synths, effects units etc pop when powered on though, it’s why you turn your monitors on last, power off first, or have the channel muted when plugged into a PA

+1

Race Fans GIF by Formula 1

why would you turn the unit off/on during a song, and not before?

Sound person should have you muted in house until the performance starts, so plugging in and turning on the unit should not cause a pop to be coming through the house speakers. That's a sound person issue, not an FM9 issue, as that would happen with anything you have plugged into the mixer that you turn on.
Many sound people in small clubs are hands off. They setup the levels and then go on to their other function within the club. Not everyone's playing arenas with sound people doing nothing but sitting at the console

Is that a newer thing on them ? My III I could boot right into powered up monitors and not a sound, my FM3 pops every time….

Maybe it makes less loud of pop than some other gear I guess ?
my FM9 and FM3 are both mk ii turbo, neither has pop suppression...

the only way round this, would be to have some kind of optical switching system, so you could mute the outs physically. you could grab an A/B box, something high end from Radial, and plug the outs into that. I'm fairly sure that would do the job.

Maybe try silent plugs on your cables and unplug the cables to FOH before powering off? XLR's might make a little contact noise when (un)plugging, but it might be quieter than the power pop.

my FM9 and FM3 are both mk ii turbo, neither has pop suppression...
Jack, my Fractal devices seem better about this than most of the other gear I own, so I wonder what's up with what you are experiencing. You noticing on gigs and in your place with equal frequency? I'd look to one of the foot operated xlr mute boxes that are available, but so far I've not seen one that's stereo (and Sweetwater seems to be having technical difficulties at the moment). Do you routinely turn down your main outs before switching it off?

edit: Sweetwater's back, and my rep suggested this as a stereo option hack...
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BabyRAM--heritage-audio-baby-ram-2-channel-monitoring-system

...which raises another question. Are you running the Fractal devices into direct boxes or straight to FOH line level?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom