Remind me how to use my real tube amp as power source for real cab?

@RoketRdr can you detail the exact routing? Out of the Ax8 into Return of amp then Speaker out to Cab or?

Its going to depend on what amp you're using. So first things first tell us what amp you plan to play through. While we're waiting lets establish a few things. Most amps have the same effects send/return architecture so you most likely have a send and return on the back of the amp. When you plug an instrument cable into your guitar/bass, through your effects pedalboard and then into the front input on the amp, you're going through the preamp of the amplifier (knobs/dials on the front of guitar amp to shape "tone") and then into the power amp section (out to the cab/speakers). All the knobs and dials on the front of the amp are mostly tweaking the preamp section of your amplifier to get the "tone" you're looking for. Then it gets sent to the power section of the amplifier to make it louder and pushed to the cab (speakers). What you're wanting to do it use your AX8 as an effects pedalboard and preamp. So you need to go into the global settings of the AX8 and turn off the cab simulations as well as remove them from your signal chain but since you're going to bypass the preamp and use the power amp on your amplifier you need to keep the amp sims active in your profiles. Run your instrument cable from your guitar/bass to the instrument input on the AX8 as normal. Now run an instrument cable from the amplifier effects "send" to the AX8 "IN 2 (post)". Run another instrument cable from the amplifier effects "return" to the AX8 "OUT 2 (post)". Adjust levels and effects accordingly. So what you've just done it bypassed the preamp on your guitar amplifier (all the tone controls on the front of your amp) and you're using the AX8 as your effects pedalboard and preamp ("tone" producer) while using the "power" section of your guitar amplifier to power your cab (speakers).

Last edited:
That’s it.

Make sure you turn the output down on your AX8 first, you’ll be bypassing the entire front panel of your amp, volume knobs included.

What he said except that your master volume still works on most guitar amplifiers in this scenario. I suggest setting it at about 25% and making volume adjustments in the AX8. If you cant get the proper volume levels then increase the master volume on your amplifier accordingly. NOW...this is for MOST amps. Some will bypass the master volume when you use the effects loop and some wont. If you're using a tube amp then make darn sure the volume is all the way down before you make connections and start experimenting.

Last edited:
What he said except that your master volume still works on most guitar amplifiers in this scenario. I suggest setting it at about 25% and making volume adjustments in the AX8. If you cant get the proper volume levels then increase the master volume on your amplifier accordingly. NOW...this is for MOST amps. Some will bypass the master volume when you use the effects loop and some wont. If you're using a tube amp then make darn sure the volume is all the way down before you make connections and start experimenting.

Ah, the Master volume was bypassed on my Carvin Legacy and both my Peavey XXL/XXX heads so I just assumed that was pretty much standard fare. That’s what happens when you assume!

Back
Top Bottom