Release notes for firmware 6 published!

Many of the high profile touring bands (hint: U2 and others) asked for this feature to replicate multiple mic setups. Very serious pro request, very serious pro application.

I don't doubt that :)
Question: do they collapse both signals (dry and delayed) to mono at some point (resulting in more or less pronounced comb filtering) or do they keep them separate (resulting in stereo widening) ?

I don't doubt that :)
Question: do they collapse both signals (dry and delayed) to mono at some point (resulting in more or less pronounced comb filtering) or do they keep them separate (resulting in stereo widening) ?

It produces comb filtering. I don't use it personally. You like it or you change it; or just ignore it. But it is there for those that want it.

If you want widening, use the enhancer.

It produces comb filtering. I don't use it personally. You like it or you change it; or just ignore it. But it is there for those that want it.

If you want widening, use the enhancer.

You sound like a politician. Talking without speaking ;)

My question was not about what I'd want from it, if I'd like it or what alternatives there are (btw, the II's enhancer works very different).

It's just that, from what I know (the experts may correct me), that comb filtering occurs just then when you mix a signal with a delayed version of itself. If you keep the signals separate, you don't get filtering as such (like notches in the freq. band) but a perceived stereo widening ("Haas effect").

And my question was: do the big artits you're referring to use it à la version 1 (mixing signals) or à la version 2 (signals separate)?
If you don't know, then just say so :)

You sound like a politician. Talking without speaking ;)

My question was not about what I'd want from it, if I'd like it or what alternatives there are (btw, the II's enhancer works very different).

It's just that, from what I know (the experts may correct me), that comb filtering occurs just then when you mix a signal with a delayed version of itself. If you keep the signals separate, you don't get filtering as such (like notches in the freq. band) but a perceived stereo widening ("Haas effect").

And my question was: do the big artits you're referring to use it à la version 1 (mixing signals) or à la version 2 (signals separate)?
If you don't know, then just say so :)

I don't know what they do or do not do.

I know why it was put in there and posted it trying to clarify what it is and why it is there in addition to the enhancer. It's not a stereo enhancer in my experience from the cab block.

I am anything but a politician. :D

My 1st Firmware upgrade was on arrival of my Unit
So anybody have tips on Firmware upgrade Preparation?
Sounds like I need to Note my Amp Settings for my Favorites...

My 1st Firmware upgrade was on arrival of my Unit
So anybody have tips on Firmware upgrade Preparation?
Sounds like I need to Note my Amp Settings for my Favorites...

No need to do that - your amp settings won't change. What WILL change is the how those settings sound in the re-worked firmware. If it is really important to replicate the sounds you have now, it would be worth recording a brief clip of your favorite amp models to compare to the sound of the new firmware.

KG

Many of the high profile touring bands (hint: U2 and others) asked for this feature to replicate multiple mic setups. Very serious pro request, very serious pro application.
Very understandable. Some IR based plug-ins offer this, and this is definitely a great reason for it. An example would be LePou's LeCab2 plug-in; versatile, works great. I used it rather than the Axe's Cab Block, but will now revisit it with this new firmware. Kudos on implementing it :D

Just waiting for the slew of angry "6.0 f***ed up my presets!" threads...
I totally hate how I will "lose" all awesome smilefan presets!! That's probably the worst thing about 6 for me...

There you have it :mrgreen Not a thread though ;) Will make one later to drive it home :D [or was it Japan where smilefan lives now?]

One method:

I always save my all my favorite patches into banks under a folder with title "FW (ver)" -- so i have those saved and can replicate them if need be. I do the same with presets, so preset folders are labeled FW 4.0, FW 5.0 etc. and save those older patches/banks appropriately, pre any firmware upgrades.

Then for new firmware, do a bank sync/save, and create a new bank (or preset) folder, in this case FW 6. Using Axe Manage re-save (or copy) everything from FW 5 into that new FW 6.0 bank/preset folder, and then as I adjust older FW presets to new FW in Axe Edit, always save them in new Firmware folder/area. Keeps things somewhat organized. If you get confused, in axe-manage you can tell by preset date what' you've updated since installing FW 6.0, and what is still old (and thus older FW).

I rarely go backwards to old firmwares for patch reference or to refresh my tone memory, but it's good to know they are there safe if need be, and the method I describe means you aren't "writing over the old presets you love" with new firmware that will change them (and that can't be undone if you get unhappy with result/wanna go backwards).

But 98% of the time this is mostly is "forward - gung-ho!", because the new firmware sounds SO much better than even FW 5 did, but you will have to re-initialize/dial in the amps etc. on older patches and re-dial them in. The Fractal crew are reportedly working on making amp reinitializing faster/easier to do too.

You are going to find amps in FW6.0 sounds great in default state, and I'll predict (like others have) that the advanced amp pages for tweaking will see far less action in future, that's the real beauty of this firmware... you'll be amazed at how some of the lesser-cited but now tone-matched amps like the HiWatt sound now, really quite glorious!

Once you install FW 6.0, do try out ALL the amps, treat it like this AXE II was new out of the box, don't rely on your past amp evaluation experiences, you WILL discover/re-discover amp treasures in FW 6.0.

It's not out yet but very close I hear (release notes out! That must be a SIGN!), and will be totally worth the wait!

insane update!

question...I see tone matching being mentioned but not 'amp matching' did this become one and the same or is this a later release (or am I blind and missed it in there?)

Back
Top Bottom