Reinstalling Systems Backups

bleujazz3

Axe-Master
Hi,

Will be receiving my FM9 back from FAS repair tomorrow (Saturday), but need to ask a few brief questions.

Since the DSP module was replaced, it's estimated that it will be necessary to reinstall v. 4.01, as well as my systems backup for v. 4.01

How does one proceed in this? Reinstalling v. 4.01 should not be difficult. Selecting factory default setting (compared to OFM9G ) would be next.

My systems backup consists of several .syx files, broken down into various sections (A, B, C, D, etc). Does one reinstall each of the sections in sequence, or if starting with a fresh copy of v. 4.01, would it be better to simply reinstall the sections which include only the .syx files (systems-gb-fc), and user cabs only, since v. 4.01 includes section A, B, C & D?

Or a more important question might be, where do one's user presets reside? Section C or D?

user presets are wherever you put them before. A - D are just presets 0 - 511 in 4 chunks. if you had a preset at Preset 2, you'd need Bank A. if you had it at Preset 129, you'd also need B, etc.

i'd guess 4.01 would be installed already.

just install all of your back up files one by one. i don't think the order matters. but it does SAVE your backup as System, Presets, User Cabs, i believe.

Replacing the DSP would generally not affect the OS and data storage. You may not have to restore from backup. The operating system and data storage are not on the DSP. You should be good to go unless Fractal had to somehow wipe those during testing after replacing the DSP.

Load the correct firmware first and then restore your backups from Fractal Bot. The order shouldn't really matter since they have different destinations. The system backup should include your layouts.

Load the correct firmware first and then restore your backups from Fractal Bot. The order shouldn't really matter since they have different destinations. The system backup should include your layouts.

Not sure why you need advice. Re-install everything that you backed up via Fractal-Bot to be sure.

P.S. Glad that you got it back so quickly.:cool:
Thanks. My current OS prior to repair was v. 4.01. My question is, since each of the systems .syx files contains specific presets, will v. 4.01 recognize each .syx file and place it accordingly in proper sequence? Also, is a restart required after each section reinstall, or can all files be reinstalled prior to restart?

I'd hazard to say that the FM9 will walk me through this. Not sure of any "special treatment" each section might need...

It seems like a dumb question, yeah, but I just need to be sure the files fill in the preset slots in numeric order...and that no manual adjustment is necessary...and yes, my layout, preset and user cab files were backed up as of 04/17.

I'll likely need to go back in and manually recreate a couple presets that weren't backed up to my preset folder...no biggie...rebuilding is part of a larger plan...

You're over thinking it ;)

If you need to restore (which you may not), I'd suggest this order:

Firmware
System Settings
User Cabs
Presets

You're over thinking it ;)

If you need to restore (which you may not), I'd suggest this order:

Firmware
System Settings
User Cabs
Presets
Thanks for the clarification. It isn't necessarily intuitive, but makes sense the way you say it.

EDIT: You. know, IIRC, Fractal-Bot backs up firmware first, then systems, then presets, then cabs. Just recalling a memory when Fractal-Bot backed up my FM9 a couple months ago...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom