AFIII Reincarnation of a Lovebird

henryrobinett

Fractal Fanatic
Hey guys. Some of you may no, probably not, that my cousin, my father's first cousin was jazz great Charles Mingus. He had his centennial, his 100th birthday April 22. He was my biggest musical influence and inspiration. I had my band play this, one of my favorite Mingus tunes.

Recorded in my studio live. Axe Fx III. Car Roamer amp. Pretty clean.

Sounds great. I love Mingus from a young age and was lucky to see him perform at the Jazz Showcase in Chicago in the early seventies, and the NYC-based Mingus Big Band paid awesome tribute to his compositions on a weekly basis for years at various venues, mainly Fez….and was sad that Joni never got to tour with him after her Mingus album was released……….

Hey guys. Some of you may no, probably not, that my cousin, my father's first cousin was jazz great Charles Mingus. He had his centennial, his 100th birthday April 22. He was my biggest musical influence and inspiration. I had my band play this, one of my favorite Mingus tunes.

Recorded in my studio live. Axe Fx III. Car Roamer amp. Pretty clean.

Thank you. That’s beautiful. Caught him at George’s Spaghetti House and he had us up dancing on one tune for three quarters of an hour. That was the sunny Mingus. Another time at The Risin’ Sun, it was the dark Mingus. Beneath The Underdog makes clear he was not an easy man but the reasons stand.

What a legacy!
Yeah. Thank you. I had nothing to do with it! LOL. Just the luck of the draw. Funny thing about this tune. I was fortunate enough to have lived with him for 3 months in the late 70s. I was practicing like crazy. One day he asked me what I was working on. "Reincarnation of a Lovebird!" I say. "Are you doing it in F# minor?", he asked. I was learning it from a fake book that was popular (still is) and it was in G minor, the way most people played it because it was an easier key. I assured him I was playing it in F# minor. I lied. He knew because he had perfect pitch, but he was kind enough not to call me on it. He just nodded. But then I went ahead and learned it in the proper key. LOL.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom