Rehearsal volume without clipping

Elad

Hey all!
New ax8 user here, just got mine a week ago!

So I was messing with the unit a bit and created a very simple preset.
I've used a recto MDRN, with 808OD in front of the amp, and some reverb after. Didn't use any cab and the global cab sim & and power amp sim is turned off.
I'm connecting the ax8 output to a marshal 100w fx return.

The issue is that my preset seems to clip at medium-high volume, which is fine till the drums comes in.. I've tried playing with the master and the level of the amp but I'm not sure I'm doing it right.
The device out put is on maximum.

Amp & effects settings are
Drive is around 4.5-5
Mid is scooped a bit, treble, bass & presence around the middle.

808OD drive is 0, volume is max and tone is 5.

So I guess I'm doing something wrong.. but what?
thank!

Thanks, I'll have a look.
My issue is not the clipping itself but the fact I can't reach high volumes without.

On the Recto, keep master volume around 3.5, start output volume in the amp block at -10 db, then bring up the physical output volume knob on the front panel. The AX8 is a pretty loud unit if you ask me. I have to have my sound tech set the input gain of my channels in FOH at 0.0 db, and I don't even have it at 50% output volume.

If after this, you still don't have it loud enough, then your Marshall head is too darn quiet.

Hey all and thanks for all the answers!
First thing, the marshall is not mine but belongs to the studio, its a 4 channel head - jvm410h 100w I think.
If I'm connecting the ax8 to the fx return, the master volume of the marshall doesn't seem to work.. Am I doing something wrong?

At home I'm using a mini rectifier, which sounds pretty loud, but I cant tell without drums and vocals hehe

It could depend on what channel is selected on the marshall. The clean channel is different from the other 3 channels if I remember correctly (it's been a number of years since I played one of those). Try selecting channel 2, 3, or 4 and see if that makes any difference.

Alternatively, is the FX loop that you're plugged into the serial one of the parallel one? If it is the parallel one, ensure that the blend / mix knob on the rear of the head is 100% wet so that all of you AX8 signal is fed into the power section.

Hope that helps.

It could depend on what channel is selected on the marshall. The clean channel is different from the other 3 channels if I remember correctly (it's been a number of years since I played one of those). Try selecting channel 2, 3, or 4 and see if that makes any difference.

Alternatively, is the FX loop that you're plugged into the serial one of the parallel one? If it is the parallel one, ensure that the blend / mix knob on the rear of the head is 100% wet so that all of you AX8 signal is fed into the power section.

Hope that helps.

I was connected to the series one, but on the clean channel. I'll have to check it out on our next rehearsal! And maybe I'll take the mini rectifier with me too, to a/b it

As has already been suggested, take the time to understand clipping and how it relates to your volume. I had very similar issues with my Ax8 but I just read the available material and watched a video or two and problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom