Redwirez IRs - Worth it!

JoKeR III

Fractal Fanatic
I know, I know - why buy any more 3rd party with the IRs already included in the Axe III?!
Well, it seems that 4x12 cabs get most of the love and I was looking for options for tones using 1x12 and 2x12 cabs that I couldn't quite get even with the IRs in the III and mixing capabilities of the Cab block. I remembered liking the free Redwirez cab (Marshall 1960A w/G12M-25s) but don't use many 4x12 cabs so I took a peek at what they offered in the 1x12 and 2x12 arena. I was also looking for speakers that weren't found in or didn't have many options in the Axe III.

I ended up purchasing the Weber Blue 12" to try, only $9, and was quite impressed with the number of usable, great sounding IRs. I then purchased the Celestion Blue 12" as well as the Tweed Deluxe Jensen P12R. Cool thing was, each was $1 cheaper than the previous ($8 for the Celestion, $7 for the Tweed). They again are great sounding IRs and have given me exactly what I was hoping for. Great detail and more open sounding tones. They also seem to be a bit brighter overall which is great for the way I approach dialing in tones - I'd rather need to cut than add top end.

After liking these 1x12 options, I found the Matchless ES212 - G12H30 and the Mesa Halfback 2x12 Top Closed. I'm really digging the Matchless and while the Mesa sounds good, the jury is still out on that one but hey, for $5 I'm willing to give it a shot but they do offer a money back guarantee if I simply won't use them.

I like and use a lot of the factory IRs and have been a fan of Ownhammer IRs from day one of my journey with Fractal and continue to enjoy using them. I suppose the best way I can describe the difference I hear is the OH IRs are more polished and refined, the Redwirez are more open and raw. Mix the two and there are some very, very good tonal options to explore.

BTW, I have no affiliation with nor do I know anyone associated with Redwirez.

I found RedWirez a few years back when I got Scuffham's S-Gear and wanted some different cab options. I have been using that Weber Blue and the couple others you mentioned, for years.

Back
Top Bottom