RedWirez Cab question!!!

NightWalker

Power User
hello there guys!! i just bought to packs of redwirez impulses but i can see that in the zip archive come 2 folders,one is labeled Axe-Fx and the other one is labeled Axe-Fx II but there is no folder for the AX8,question i need to convert those impulses to work in the AX8?if the answer is yes how i can do that,thank you.

Redwirez IRs are very out of date. The AX8 hasn't even existed back when they were released. In case Redwirez provides the IRs as wav files, you're in luck, they can be converted for your AX8. If not, those for the AxeFX II might work, I'm not entirely sure.

Redwirez IRs are very out of date. The AX8 hasn't even existed back when they were released. In case Redwirez provides the IRs as wav files, you're in luck, they can be converted for your AX8. If not, those for the AxeFX II might work, I'm not entirely sure.

they come in wav format,redwirez still selling their ir,s so i dont think they are out of date.

Ok, it's very good to know that they are provided in wav format!

About "out of date", could you please tell me/us the file size of those wav files? And, if you can give this information, how long are they? (how many milliseconds)
Why I'm asking this: Back when Redwirez was state of the art, Cliff hadn't yet implemented UltraRes IRs. Nowadays the Axe can handle IRs up to 170ms. I'm pretty sure that Redwirez' IRs are shorter. That's what I meant with "out of date". When it comes to sound quality, they are what they are and will always have a place on the market!

file size some are 11 and 14 kb to be honest i dont know how long are they in millliseconds,but i think you are right about the ouf of date.

Last edited:
Ok, wav files of 170ms length (24 bit and 48 kHz) are 24560 bytes = 24kb

But UltraRes is (imho) not as important as good micing techniques etc. Those old IRs can still be worth their price!

Ok, wav files of 170ms length (24 bit and 48 kHz) are 24560 bytes = 24kb

But UltraRes is (imho) not as important as good micing techniques etc. Those old IRs can still be worth their price!

ahh ok,i think i saw some ir,s that size was 24kb and up.

i just found out this video,it seems that we dont need to convert wav files with cab lab anymore.

Wow.
This is news to me.
When did this happen and where are the Axr-Edit release notes?
Tip: After you've used Axe-Edit's cab browser to load a wav IR folder, if you don't see the menu of IRs on the rh side of the window you'll need to hover the mouse pointer on the leftmost vertical border area of the Axe-Manage Cabs window in order to drag that border to the right which will make the loaded IRs visible.
I've never even touched the Browser tab in Axe-edit.
This appears to be a really nice feature.
Looks like there's choices for MPT/Raw and NR/UR too.
Very cool.

and what does mean?

It means that the RW IRs aren't long enough to benefit from the Ultra Rez processing and should probably be converted using Standard Rez processing of the wav file.
But just because an IR is not UR doesn't make it an inferior IR.
UR IRs, IMO, tend to sound a bit slicker, but only if you're really looking for it.
I.e. It's pretty subtle.

It means that the RW IRs aren't long enough to benefit from the Ultra Rez processing and should probably be converted using Standard Rez processing of the wav file.
But just because an IR is not UR doesn't make it an inferior IR.
UR IRs, IMO, tend to sound a bit slicker, but only if you're really looking for it.
I.e. It's pretty subtle.
As far as I remember from when they were first added, the low end detail is much more accurate...

Yeah UltraRes makes the most difference on low frequencies. Still, it's very hard to hear, especially since we guitarists usually cut out the low frequencies.

I just played on my Axe Ultra. That thing still is a lot of fun I must tell you!!! But when I use those factory IRs, it's just horrible. IRs have definitely improved over the years! Doesn't mean old ones can't be good, but you might have more fun with newer IR packages, no matter which manufacturer you prefer. I'm a Valhallir Mesa-Cab fan. So glad that there are still ways to convert IR mixes for the Gen1 machines!

Maybe I'll come up with a demonstration of how important good IRs are and how much they improve the Gen1 machines.

Back
Top Bottom