Redwirez and iface question

agt

I just purchased the Red Wire Big Box and ABG's iface 1.05.

I have read the iface manual. I am fairly certain that I have iface installed correctly, that the Red Wire Impulses folder structure is as it should be, and that I have selected and scanned the correct path in iface (I see no indication that the impulses cannot be found).

At this point, I am just trying to audition the IRs using iface as a VST plugin in REAPER 3.75 to decide which to load into my Axe-FX. I'm on Win 7 x64 and running REAPER as 32 bit.

Before I purchased the Big Box, I listened to the Cabinet Previewer at the Red Wire site and the sonic differences between, say, a Marshall with a R121 at 1" and a Deluxe with an SM57 at 6" were very apparent. On the Axe-Fx, changing the stock cabinets makes a very audible difference.

However, as I am auditioning the Red Wire IRs with iface, I am not hearing much, if any, audible difference between the various cabinets, mics, and mic positions. Some sound slightly brighter or darker, but other than that, the differences are barely noticeable. If it were not for the slight change in brightness or darkness, I would guess that the loaded IR is not changing at all when I select something different in iface!

Surely the differences between the Red Wire IRs cannot be that subtle? And surely this cannot be an iface bug whereby the IR is not loaded when a selection is made. I suspect that I must be doing something wrong or I have not configured iface properly. Any suggestions from more experienced users would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi Agt,
I am doing the exact same thing you are. I would only use an amp block and nothing else...that helps isolate the true tone of the cab. The RW sample files do not really tell the Axe-FX settings so there could be a lot that is different between the various previews.
Some mics are more sensitive to movement than others. I do hear a difference between 1 and 6 inches on a SM57. The difference between 1 and 3 is not as great but I do hear it. Off Axis placements make a noticeble difference at the same distance. If you are mixing two different speakers maybe do them one at at time as it's harder to tell when there's a complimentary sound in the second cab. When I first did it I had reverb and delay turned on in the Axe and that clouded what I heard in the DAW.
I'm trying the iFace 1.07 that will CREATE a .wav for the entire iFace mix. Just can't see how to convert it to an IR that can be loaded to the Axe.

After several days of being frustrated by this, I re-unzipped the Red Wire download files using a different unzip utility and, lo and behold, things are working as expected. Something must have become corrupted the first time I unzipped the folders.

Back
Top Bottom