Redundant Axe-FX setup

Mr.X

Experienced
Not that we've had any real issues with the Axe-FX, but lets say we want to run 2 of them in a redundant setup. This would allow a quick changeover should the main Axe-FX shit the bed.
The audio output switchover is easy, with a Radial SW8. The MFC switchover is a little more difficult. What would be needed for a cat-5 switchover, assuming that the cat5 is not the same connections as Ethernet?
Don't want to run MIDI to the MFC as the single cable with data and power is very convenient.

As long as it's not a stadium gig or television show, I don't worry bout it, and carry a Tech 21 pedal for backup.

Not that we've had any real issues with the Axe-FX, but lets say we want to run 2 of them in a redundant setup. This would allow a quick changeover should the main Axe-FX shit the bed.
The audio output switchover is easy, with a Radial SW8. The MFC switchover is a little more difficult. What would be needed for a cat-5 switchover, assuming that the cat5 is not the same connections as Ethernet?
Don't want to run MIDI to the MFC as the single cable with data and power is very convenient.

In my main rig I use the Axe II as my main tone generator and have an Ultra as a backup. I've thinking about getting a extra Axe II - but the II has never let me down, and the Ultra can more than get the job done if need be.
My midi board is 2 LF+12+'s where one is master and one slave for a big board.
I choose this route so I would have a big board with build in redundancy - if one LF+12+ goes down, I can still use the other, and it's the same layout and everything - and to make it possible to just bring one LF+12+ if all I need is a small jam rig. Works perfectly for me.
Also in the spirit of "be prepared", I've made 4 swiss army knife presets: one for bluesy stuff, one for funky stuff, one for classic rock and one for more modern rock.
These 3 presets are laid out so that I can play all night on one preset that fits the genre and control the gain/volume on my guitars volume pot if need be.
I actually tested it out at a gig two weeks ago, where I played the first 5 songs on the modern rock preset (amp HBE, touch of delay and 'verb) - reminded my of just how much you can do with one good amp and your guitar.

If You use a rack-panel to connect the MFC to your AXEs. It will take less than a second to switch the cable.

If you put the rackpanel on the front it will be VERY easy to make the switch in a live situation.

Greetings

AAEN

Forgive me if im wrong, but is it not possible to wire the CAT5 jack parallel from the rackpanel to both Axes?

I have a complete redundant rig down to MFC, Mission pedals and wiring. Having a spare Axe II only solves your problem if it is the II that is the issue. If it isn't obvious, too much time is spent hunting for the problem IMO. I run through a rack mixer and tap the second rig in so it's simply a flip of the power switch if it were ever needed.

Why not consider an RJ-45 A-B switch?

Example: http://www.amazon.com/RJ45-AB-Way-Switch-Box/dp/B000I96BVK

SWITCH-BOX-RJ11-12-2-way-BestLink.JPG

;) In ethernet, it is possible to get redundancy using something called RSTP (Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol), the cables are RJ45, tho may not be the same :(

;) In ethernet, it is possible to get redundancy using something called RSTP (Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol), the cables are RJ45, tho may not be the same :(

This isn't going to help this at all. RSTP, is used between network switches, with redundant connections that cause loops in an ethernet based network. RSTP essentially blocks one path to prevent ethernet frames which in themselves have no loop detection mechanism or time to live from looping around and causing other sorts of network problems. If the primary path fails, the blocked path then comes to life.

But you cannot plug an AXE FX into a network switch or router and even if you could this would not help.

I have a complete redundant rig down to MFC, Mission pedals and wiring. Having a spare Axe II only solves your problem if it is the II that is the issue. If it isn't obvious, too much time is spent hunting for the problem IMO. I run through a rack mixer and tap the second rig in so it's simply a flip of the power switch if it were ever needed.
Details?

But you cannot plug an AXE FX into a network switch or router and even if you could this would not help.

Agreed. If the Axe was encapsulating the messages in ethernet it may have been a different story tho ;), & we would do network configuration for every Axe then :D
Of course, you can update your firmware directly from the internet and whatnot, come to think of it...........

you can't use this....
I don't think this is an ethernet connection..

I think it's just MIDI and some phantom power..

in this case it just happens to use the same wire and connector as an ethernet network [so it just looks the same]

EDIT: actually.... I seem to recall Cliff mentioning that the distance is greatly increased with this connection [rather than a standard MIDI cable]...
so maybe there is some ethernet or some other transport protocol going on in there...

Last edited:
when I get my 2nd Axe I'll run both Axe's into a small 8 chan mixer [and sound check them both]

I'll take two Axe -> MFC cables to the MFC [labelled], one jacked in, one not

if Axe A dies I'd do this

- mixer: fader down for dead unit, up for reserve
- dead unit: power down
- MFC: swap cable [so it'll power back up to the reserve

I've never done this with an Axe, but I have with a pair of Digitech 2120 [during a gig in Naples]

the whole process took about 10 to 15 secs I guess
no longer than swapping guitars having popped a string..

and during my practice sessions I'd practice the drill from time to time too [so it's something you don't have to think about - you just do it]

one thought regarding that RJ45 A-B switch...
I'm wondering how the MFC would react to the power being cut and reapplied so quickly..
would if freak the unit?? you'd want to try that for sure... last thing you want is to crash the MFC or have it go a bit spazzy and return to factory settings..
I'd be inclined to pull the RJ [and therefore the power] on the MFC and let it come back up to the reserve Axe...

has anyone tried anything like this??
I'd be seriously interested to know how this behaves..

Yes it's not an Ethernet connection between an Axe FX and the MFC, it is only using a cat5 cable.

From the manual.
24. MFC Control Port – This RJ-45 jack allows you to use a standard CAT5/Ethernet (non-crossover) cable to connect the Axe-Fx II and a Fractal Audio Systems MFC-101 MIDI Foot Controller. The cable used to connect the Axe-Fx II and MFC-101 carries two-way data communication and phantom power without needing an external “wall wart” adapter. Warning! Connect the MFC jack only to the EXPANSION port of a Fractal Audio Systems MFC-101. Do not connect to an Ethernet device such as a computer, hub, switch, or router, as damage to one or both units could occur!

I currently use an ethernet cable, that someone reclaimed from an abandoned area, that is ridiculously long and it works for me. At Axe Fest UK I can put you on a wireless setup and run the MFC into the car park, if you fancy a bit of British winter open air action? :$

Cliff chimed in on a post somewhere very lately that the Cat5 cable length should be good for 100m .... good enough to go sit with the FOH engineer in a lot of places. Now that's an old rocker's dream ... nice comfy chair, one foot for your pedalboard and the other to push your faders up full and ward off the sound engineer with a quick roundhouse kick as a follow up.

Back
Top Bottom