Reduce Attack

Is there any way to program the FM9 such that it would mimic something like the EHX attack decay?

Say you wanted to reduce the attack of a banjo with a pickup, plugged into the FM9. How would you achieve this, I’m sure there are several approaches.

I've seen discussions in the forums about this with regard to Kurt Rosenwinkel's sound (using EHX Pog 2). Here are some posts about this:
Use a volume block and set the type to auto-swell. If that doesn't work for you, use a volume block and attach the ADSR controller as a modifier to the volume control.

He's using one of the EHX POGs for all of it I believe.

I got pretty close to the swell using a volume block with an envelope follower and a very short attack (20ms?, I'll look later on) rather than the auto swell . Worked better. Also boosted the output of the volume block about 5db.
My volume block settings are: Linear, Level at +5.7 db. Everything else is default.

Modifier on the Volume Control is an envelope follower. Threshold is -40db, Attack is 60ms, Release is 1ms. Everything else is default.

It works pretty well. Not perfect. Certainly doesn't have the flutey tone he gets from the POB.

I am about 30 years behind his chording vocabulary.

I'll try and work on it this weekend... but if you want to get started sooner, the objective isn't slow-attack, but rather no-attack. The first or second effect in his chain is compression. Then it goes to whatever you chose, Boss SG-1, EHX HOG, EHX POG2, EHX Attack Decay, volume block (w/ADSR modifier), and you shave off only the pick attack, nothing else. That then goes into another compressor

This last post mentions adding a compressor after the volume block. Kurt does this, I think to get less of a swell sound and more of an immediate articulation, just without the transients of the pick attack. This might be good for banjo if you still want the notes to come in strong, just with less of the metal pick sounds/squeak.

You might be able to start from the settings in that post and then adjust for what you are going for.

I've seen discussions in the forums about this with regard to Kurt Rosenwinkel's sound (using EHX Pog 2). Here are some posts about this:

This last post mentions adding a compressor after the volume block. Kurt does this, I think to get less of a swell sound and more of an immediate articulation, just without the transients of the pick attack. This might be good for banjo if you still want the notes to come in strong, just with less of the metal pick sounds/squeak.

You might be able to start from the settings in that post and then adjust for what you are going for.
Yes!!! This is the sound im following!!!

Back
Top Bottom