Redsound MF10 and question about Out 3

macfly

Inspired
I recently got a Redsound MF10 and it will be very convenient if I can use Out 3 to drive it (I've always used Out 1 for my IEM and Out 2 for FOH).
I've read the FM9 manual/Wiki about this output and understand why the output is lower, so I'm seeking to compensate...thus I'm wondering if the way I've set it up is ok:

I have the level on the MF10 set to 8 (3 o'clock) which is the level suggested in the manual. I can dime it and it sounds fine with no clip light.

On my FM9 I have the Output 3 knob on the front panel set to about 2:00. This actually wasn't intended. I'd had it dimed before and somehow it got moved, but now I've set everything else and won't have another opportunity to crank it and reset this before my next gig. Diming this now causes clipping at the FM9 out, so I'd guess it will also clip the input to the MF10. Volume as set is plenty, and there is a fair amount of room to get really loud before clipping.

In the FM9, I have the Boost/Pad at 0dB, Out 3 block level at +20dB, and the Output 3 EQ level is at +10dB. Using the meters in the Out 3 block, it is not clipping. I used the eq a little (had to cut some low end and boost some high frequencies a little to get sparkle/presence).

It sounds great. The clip indicators on the front panel of the FM9 and on the MF10 never light up. I have the volume I need, and even a little room if ever I should need it.

Finally, my question: Any potential problems with what I'm doing? It sounds great and doesn't light anything up, so I'm assuming its good.

Should be ok. I have out3 set to +18db for my feed to a power amp and cab and it works fine.
Is that the setting to get the maximum output from out 3? I use a simillar setup to the OP, but always fing that my signal coming out of out 3 is too low. can someone explain to me the way to get maximum signal out of out 3, just in case im doing it wrong. My set up is outs 1 go to FOH stereo

Outs 2 are the same but summed to mono....I play in several different projects and in one of them the foh engineer wants mono guitar.

out 3 goes to my backline for stage sound and a bit of monitoring (i mostly use iems, but miss it when I cant feel anything behind me. It feels weird). For my stage sound I run out 3 without a cab block and it goes to an old musicman rp 112 combo....sounds great and the singer (the boss) likes to see an actual amp onstage. I wuld like to keep the solid state pre of the musicman doing as little work as possible so want to max the output level from out 3. Any tips greatly appreciated. Thanks

Output 3 is unity gain - meaning by default it outputs an instrument level signal (for using out 3 & input 3 as an effects loop for adding pedals).
The output level can be increased by up to +20db in the output block settings if needed. You can also add a volume boost before out 3 block if needed, just keep an eye on the output block clip indicator.

Consumer line level is about 20db above instrument level.

http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/linelevel.shtml

Output 3 is unity gain - meaning by default it outputs an instrument level signal (for using out 3 & input 3 as an effects loop for adding pedals).
The output level can be increased by up to +20db in the output block settings if needed. You can also add a volume boost before out 3 block if needed, just keep an eye on the output block clip indicator.

thank you very much for the info

just out of interest, how much louder are the outs from 1 and 2 compared to 3?

Outs 1 & 2 can be set to consumer (-10db) or pro (+4db) line level, so either 20db or 34db louder
Thanks for this. Those numbers make sense of my settings. FWIW, I gigged with the above settings for a loud sub gig last night and it sounded fantastic with no clipping! I still had probably another 5dB room (from my solo boost sound...the loudest scene) but definitely didn't need it. Very impressed with the MF10! This was in a room that I play a lot and the stage right position has a nasty bass trap...I just used the Out 3 eq and erased the boominess really quickly!

Outs 1 & 2 can be set to consumer (-10db) or pro (+4db) line level, so either 20db or 34db louder
That doesn’t quite add up as the difference between -10 and +4 is about 12 dB. That may seem counterintuitive but the 2 values have a different reference. Remember it’s -10 dBV and +4 dBu, not just “dB”. The V and u make a difference.

I appreciate your post I had been confused up until this point

Back
Top Bottom