Rediscovering models (EOB/vintage)

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
Lately I've acquired some lower output guitars, a PRS 594 and recent TA Hollow T Classic and have been swimming in the lake of Fenderesque , edge of breakup amps. I've been a long time Axe Fx user since the Ultra days and I admit to barely using the edge of break up style amps as I'm a high gain whore. I've been spending a lot of time going through the massive pile of amp models and am just blown away by how amazing they sound. And the drives are fantastic. I didn't really appreciate the nuances with drives as much with higher gain of course but with these lower gain amps. wow.

Please share your fav edge of breakup amp/drive combos!....

What a timely thread… I too just got a T-style and built a patch last night based on a deluxe reverb w/ the corresponding DynaCab… just came alive … wow! … anyways, super pleased to crack open an amp and make it sing!

👍❤️🙏

I spend a lot of time in this 'twilight zone' between clean and overdrive. I rarely use distortion as I use a lot of extended chords that sound like poo with too much grind.

For instance, I have an 8-channel Plexi, 8-channel AC20, 8-channel Suhr Badger 30, 8-channel Jtm 45, and a few others. I have found there is a great deal of tonal difference in just .20 to .40 of the gain knob. Throw in the input trim, and you can get onion skin thin slices of gain.

I do this with both Amp 1 and Amp 2 in parallel, but muting one and then the other for 8 channels. The JTM 45 is a favorite as amp 1 is stock and amp 2 is heavily modified in an attempt to get it to Blackflag JTM 50 or JTM 45/100 territory. It has worked out really cool, wonderful textures at all levels.

There are so many tools in this Fractal machine that I don't know where the limit is yet.

I spend a lot of time in this 'twilight zone' between clean and overdrive. I rarely use distortion as I use a lot of extended chords that sound like poo with too much grind.

For instance, I have an 8-channel Plexi, 8-channel AC20, 8-channel Suhr Badger 30, 8-channel Jtm 45, and a few others. I have found there is a great deal of tonal difference in just .20 to .40 of the gain knob. Throw in the input trim, and you can get onion skin thin slices of gain.

I do this with both Amp 1 and Amp 2 in parallel, but muting one and then the other for 8 channels. The JTM 45 is a favorite as amp 1 is stock and amp 2 is heavily modified in an attempt to get it to Blackflag JTM 50 or JTM 45/100 territory. It has worked out really cool, wonderful textures at all levels.

There are so many tools in this Fractal machine that I don't know where the limit is yet.
Sounds like big fun!

Any chance of you putting any of those presets on AxeChange?

Would love to see some of these presets if you can share.

Lately I've acquired some lower output guitars, a PRS 594 and recent TA Hollow T Classic and have been swimming in the lake of Fenderesque , edge of breakup amps. I've been a long time Axe Fx user since the Ultra days and I admit to barely using the edge of break up style amps as I'm a high gain whore. I've been spending a lot of time going through the massive pile of amp models and am just blown away by how amazing they sound. And the drives are fantastic. I didn't really appreciate the nuances with drives as much with higher gain of course but with these lower gain amps. wow.

Please share your fav edge of breakup amp/drive combos!....
The older I get, the cleaner my sound becomes.
My favorite amp these days is the bandmaster.

Back
Top Bottom