Recto - no mids?

saxxamafone

Inspired
was playing around with the recto's last night in the studio

i've heard a few that sound amazing

whenever i try them, i can never get enough mids... mids on 10 still sounds scooped to me

is this what the real rectos are actually like?

Which cab are you using?

I've never been a Recto fan, but I've started getting Recto sounds I'm somewhat happy with in the Axe. That said, while they have a different mid-range character to what I'm used to, I've not really had much of a problem getting mids out of them. The presence control I find is rather important with the Rectos.

Mind you, I'm talking about the first two Recto models in the list. The "Recto New" or whatever its called has yet to tickle my bits at all. Just sounds like a thin, harsh, buzz monster to me (which funnily enough, is all I've ever got from playing a real Recto :| ).

Rectos (real life ones) have a scooped characteristic to them, but they are fully capable of being VERY midrangey if you dial them that way. If you are setting your mids to 10 and not getting enough, then it is probably an issue of which part of the midrange you are really trying to coax out of the amp. Perhaps the midrange control is voiced such that you are not able to adjust the particular frequencies that your ear is desiring. If so, try using the parametric EQ, post amp block.

That said, if you are looking for more of a midrange heavy, high gain amp sound, you might be better to consider one of the Mark series models or one of the Marshall models rather than a Recto type. I own a real world Recto as part of my amp rig (have a number of others as well) and use it mainly for getting the brootalz with my 7 string. I rarely set my mids above 10 o'clock, and I am able to get plenty of midrange clarity. They can be a bit tricky to dial, though. Many players will lower the gain and push the front end with a TS type OD pedal, which may aid your cause. In the Axe Fx, I find the using the clean boost along with reducing the amp drive really helps get me where I need to go. Don't overdo the bass and remember that setting the treble high will make the other tone controls less powerful in terms range of cut/boost, just like with a real tube amp. Once again, try some additional EQ.

For cabinets, I like the Cali 4x12 with the Recto, but I am after a completely different sound, it sounds like. Try a more midrangey cab like some of the Marshall models and you should get closer.

Hope this helps!
-Matt

Yeah, there's a fair bit of midrange in there, just that it's maybe voiced differently to what you're used to.

What kind of Recto sound are you aiming for? Examples? Youtube clips?

As Matt said, often metal guys will hit the ront end with something like a TS-9. It helps tighten up the low end, but it also can give the signal going into the amp a nice mid/high-mid spike, which can help give your Recto sound a lil more of a cutting tone.

Back
Top Bottom