RECORDING

jcarras

Okay so i have a normal laptop with no monitor speakers, can i still hear sound when recording. If so then i am having trouble connecting my Axe Fx USB capability to Cubase 6 elements. Can someone help me figure out how to set up the Axe Fx and Cubase so that i can hear audio through my laptop speakers and record with the Axe Fx. Or can someone tell me if i need separate monitors to play sound while recording. I CAN NOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME FIGURE OUT HOW TO RECORD WITH THE AXE FX.

-Axe Fx USB
-Cubase Elements 6

it seems to me that this is a question about cubase, more than about the axe.

since you're not even mentioning what operating system you're running, it's going to be hard for people to help you.

in general tho, you need to
1 tell your recording software and your OS what speakers to use for output.
2.tell your recording software that you want to hear what's being recorded as it's recorded

good luck

it seems to me that this is a question about cubase, more than about the axe.

since you're not even mentioning what operating system you're running, it's going to be hard for people to help you.

in general tho, you need to
1 tell your recording software and your OS what speakers to use for output.
2.tell your recording software that you want to hear what's being recorded as it's recorded

good luck

im using windows 7

You probably need to install ASIO4ALL - Universal ASIO Driver
What it does is aggregating several devices, for example the AxeFx audio inputs and your laptop soundcard outputs.
In your DAW, instead of selecting the AxeFx as your sound device, you select ASIO4ALL.
You must of course configure ASIO4ALL to enable and disable the various IOs that will be "seen" by your DAW.

The drawback is that it will add latency. Just test it. If it works reasonably, that's fine. If not, then switch back to just using the Axe, as I did..

In Microsoft Windows operating systems, like Windows 7, a DAW can only use one audio driver at a time.

So Cubase can be set to use the AxeFx. You are good there. But it cannot be set to use your laptop's soundcard at the same time. So you are screwed for monitoring with your laptop speakers.

That is where the suggestion to use ASIO4ALL comes in. That driver makes Windows more like a Mac in that you can have an aggregate driver and use more than one sound device at the same time. But at the expense of latency.

Before: Cubase -> AxeFx Driver -> AxeFx

After: Cubase -> ASIO4ALL -> AxeFx Driver + laptop sound driver

I use ProTools on Windows 7. I mainly patch the AxeFx II analog. Works great and sounds great. Caveat, I do not reamp very often at all.

Richard

If you have headphones to plug into the Axe FX, you could check sound is coming through to them, that way you have Cubase set up correctly. However as already mentioned without ASIO4all, what you are trying to do will not work.

I use digital spdiff from axe fx to protools 8 (win7, no support for ASIO in PT 8).
In this setup all tracks can be monitored, and low latency monitoring works ok.
maybe similar setup is possible in Cubase?

You invested in a $2200 guitar processor- why not invest $200 in monitors (maudio bx5a/2/deluxe/whatever) and a decent interface (mbox 2/mini/maudio- $100-250)

The greatest processor on earth+laptop speakers= ???

Back
Top Bottom