Recording your tracks question

D20

Power User
I'm just curious as to how everyone records rhythm tracks with their Axe Fx.

Do you record one stereo tracks? (with the L R outs on same track)
Two mono tracks? (panning L R outs to different tracks)
Quad track? (two on L and R)
Etc....

Many thanks in advance! :D

Unless there is a stereo FX I record everything mono. So yeah just for standard rythms two mono tracks one panned L the other R and the spread varies.

Charlie Wardick said:
Unless there is a stereo FX I record everything mono. So yeah just for standard rythms two mono tracks one panned L the other R and the spread varies.

Thanks Charlie for the input and the EMGs! ;)

I was just kinda wondering because the outs are L R, but i usually record mono tracks as well.

I haven't done this, but is it possible (if i have two amps and two cabs) to just use a vol/pan block and just pan both L+R to one side and then just use that sides out for a mono track for recording? I am just wondering the best and most efficient way to record my rhythm tracks.

Thanks again!

I usually record one guitar left and one guitar right... both stereo... which doesn't really matter cuz when you pan it hard left or hard right it essentially becomes a mono track... the reason I keep it stereo is so that when I want to record an effect or whatnot, everything will already be hooked up properly.

Seems like that could work but you would effectively be pushing them all into one mono channel which would sound like neither amp/cab but instead some hybrid sounding set up. You could pan the chains hard L/R and record two mono tracks one on L and the other on R input. Then you would have two the exact performance in mono with different combos and could pan however you want in the final mix. Lets call those tracks R1a and R1b. Then do it again with alternate rythm track and well call that R2a, R2b. So you would have 2 performances and 4 tracks. Then you could play with panning something like 100/80/80/100 with tracks in say R1a/R2a/R2b/R1b order. Its kinda of endless possibilities. So many choices so little time for me.

I have actually done the above with a wet chain and a dry and played with the dry track and other VSTs and re-amp back through the Axe.

I usually just dual track rythms L/R and play them differently. I don't quad track mostly due to time and challenges playing in absolute sync with myself when attempting to play "exactly" the same thing. I may have to try what I suggest above and see if there is any value in it when everything is in the mix. Not sure of the merits since it although it could be up to 4 different tones, it would still be 2 performances. Axe-PC could certainly expedite the process of finding tones that work well together.

Glad you are digging the EMGs. I still have the 81/81 set you should buy for the other guitar! :lol:

I usually record one guitar left and one guitar right... both stereo... which doesn't really matter cuz when you pan it hard left or hard right it essentially becomes a mono track... the reason I keep it stereo is so that when I want to record an effect or whatnot, everything will already be hooked up properly.

Thanks MO!
I think i am going to try this out sometime to see how it works out for me. I have been dialing in some tones, but not recorded anything final yet, because i want to make sure i set everything up correctly. Many thanks man for the input!

Charlie Wardick said:
Seems like that could work but you would effectively be pushing them all into one mono channel which would sound like neither amp/cab but instead some hybrid sounding set up. You could pan the chains hard L/R and record two mono tracks one on L and the other on R input. Then you would have two the exact performance in mono with different combos and could pan however you want in the final mix. Lets call those tracks R1a and R1b. Then do it again with alternate rythm track and well call that R2a, R2b. So you would have 2 performances and 4 tracks. Then you could play with panning something like 100/80/80/100 with tracks in say R1a/R2a/R2b/R1b order. Its kinda of endless possibilities. So many choices so little time for me.

I have actually done the above with a wet chain and a dry and played with the dry track and other VSTs and re-amp back through the Axe.

I usually just dual track rythms L/R and play them differently. I don't quad track mostly due to time and challenges playing in absolute sync with myself when attempting to play "exactly" the same thing. I may have to try what I suggest above and see if there is any value in it when everything is in the mix. Not sure of the merits since it although it could be up to 4 different tones, it would still be 2 performances. Axe-PC could certainly expedite the process of finding tones that work well together.

Glad you are digging the EMGs. I still have the 81/81 set you should buy for the other guitar! :lol:

Hey thanks Charlie! I will probably stick with dual tracking like you do L/R, two takes. I totally dig the EMGs BTW. I may take you up on the 81/81 set for my baritone. ;)
I'll let you know soon.

I need to ask everyone another question though.....What would be the best way to output a mono track if i wanted to? Would it be ending the chain with a vol/pan block and just panning everything (lets says everything left) to the left side then just using the left out to my delta 44? I guess it might be easier to if i am only using one amp to just track that stereo like MO said and pan it completely L/R doing two takes.

I'd love to hear opinions on this! Thanks again for replying Mo and Charlie! This is a huge help to me as i am preparing to start recording my bands demo really soon.

Back
Top Bottom