Recording your Axe FX, gen 1 or II.

sarge

Power User
How are you guys recording your Axe FX's when using a DAW.

The most prominent issue I have is that I like to record dry tracks then add stuff like reverb and delay later. Problem for me is the reverbs and delays in the both generations of the Axe FX sound much better then anything that comes with Reaper.

Do you guys typically record dry and add reverb later? Or use the Axe FX reverb? And if so, how are you tracking left and right?

I am really bad with recording. Many times I just setup the Axe FX to be in stereo, with all the effects I want, and just track the guitars right down the middle. But I think I am missing out by doing this as others recordings have sounded so much better then mine.

Any tips in general on recording, mixing panning bass, drums, guitar and vocals would be greatly appreciated.

I really can't be bothered for most part to use the post-amp effects of the Axe in my recordings since I'd have to nail the setting and then reamp it. I would LOVE a Axe vst with all the delays, verbs and the various modulation effects only.

Off topic: Anyone knows some great delay VSTs? Both digital, analog and tape would be awesome

I really can't be bothered for most part to use the post-amp effects of the Axe in my recordings since I'd have to nail the setting and then reamp it. I would LOVE a Axe vst with all the delays, verbs and the various modulation effects only.

Off topic: Anyone knows some great delay VSTs? Both digital, analog and tape would be awesome

SoundToys EchoBoy is about the best in-the-box delay you're gonna find. You can demo it to see if it fits your needs:

SoundToys - Plug-Ins With Attitude

How are you guys recording your Axe FX's when using a DAW.

The most prominent issue I have is that I like to record dry tracks then add stuff like reverb and delay later. Problem for me is the reverbs and delays in the both generations of the Axe FX sound much better then anything that comes with Reaper.

Do you guys typically record dry and add reverb later? Or use the Axe FX reverb? And if so, how are you tracking left and right?

I am really bad with recording. Many times I just setup the Axe FX to be in stereo, with all the effects I want, and just track the guitars right down the middle. But I think I am missing out by doing this as others recordings have sounded so much better then mine.

Any tips in general on recording, mixing panning bass, drums, guitar and vocals would be greatly appreciated.

Generally what I do today is run a mono DI signal through the Left channel and a wet signal through the right when tracking into Reaper. I go through the S/PDIF connection. The DI signal affords me the opportunity to re-amp later.

What I don't know is what I am going to do when I want to send in a stereo signal and there are a few places I know I am going to want to do that. I suppose I could get a splitter box and send a DI through the analog inputs on my DAW and the other side to the Axe-FX and record a wet stereo signal. I don't know if there would be issues lining up the tracks with the one side going through AD conversion on the DAW and the other through AD conversion on the Axe-FX. I haven't tried it to see. Maybe it is a non-issue? It is just something I thought about.

Right now I have an Ultra.

The plan... later this year... is to get a II and get a whole new DAW with a Lynx Aurora 16 going into the DAW via RME MADI so I am not sure how I'll change me setup once I get all that going.

As for mixing tips... I am not qualified to give any but I can tell you that I have enjoyed reading through TapeOp (you can get it free) and SoundOnSound. It is very clear from reading the various interviews/articles that there is no one right way but they certainly give you a lot of different ideas on how to place things in a mix and how to manipulate the frequencies based on the song to carve space out to hear what you want to hear.

Interesting. I will check those out.

I also do the wet and dry, problem with re-amping is I can't hear it in the mix on my Windows system. I have to re-record, then play it back.

Plus there is also the fact that using Windows (vista (i know, I know)), when re-amping with Reaper, it seems once I am done re-amping and then go back, My Axe Edit will get hung to the point I need to hold the power button down on the computer.

My recording and mixing skills are truly awfull though.

If you are doing demos at home then no problem.

However if you are starting to get serious, go find a real engineer to work with.

Trust me, the single most important element in all recording is the engineer. The DAW. the plugins, the converter are all minor issues by comparison. A great engineer will get magic out of anything you're using. A mediocre engineer will make the most gee-whiz system sound ordinary.

(Disclosure: I'm also awful at recording - however my partner in our studio is a brilliant, old school engineer.)

If you are doing demos at home then no problem.

However if you are starting to get serious, go find a real engineer to work with.

Trust me, the single most important element in all recording is the engineer. The DAW. the plugins, the converter are all minor issues by comparison. A great engineer will get magic out of anything you're using. A mediocre engineer will make the most gee-whiz system sound ordinary.

(Disclosure: I'm also awful at recording - however my partner in our studio is a brilliant, old school engineer.)

True story. Totally agreed!

Back
Top Bottom