Recording with Logic Pro x and Axe FX II - Latency issues

SFP73

Hi!

I'm trying to record two guitar tracks here and for both of them has clean and effected track. For some reason clean track has more latency than effected track if you compare GTR 1 and GTR DI 1. How is that even possible?

First track at the top is drum track and it's quick nicely at same position with GTR 1 track, but not with DI track.

Logic Pro x once again lost sync with GTR 2 and GTR DI 2 track even those are grouped. So I had to re-amp it through Axe. Newly recored GTR 2 is quite nicely aligned with DI track, but now its quite far way from GTR 1 track.

Axe firmware is 18.01. Logic project is 48 Khz and I/O Buffer size 64 (7,0 ms roundtrip / 3,4ms output). I'm recording without any effect and Low latency Mode at Logic Pro X.

Attachments

• axereamp.jpg
    axereamp.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 57
I haven't had this particular problem but I do have random latency problems with Logic. We routinely check and sometimes have to move recorded tracks into position. We haven't found a cause for this it seems to just happen sometimes.

IS there a per channel/device latency adjustment in the software?
If so and you know the amount its off you can have it auto make the adjustments for you. I have a somewhat laggy usb setup, so I often have to compensate in Audition with said technique.

To me this seems to happen now all the time. I'll check is there is delay adjustment for tracks. Didn't find that quickly.

I tried with with lower and larger I/O buffer size and also with 44,1 Khz, but no change. I rebooted Axe and Logic.

Also checked that if I record all channels mono from 1-4 then 3 and 4 comes later than 1 and 2.

Can newer Macbook Pro cause this. Those have USB 3 and Axe is still USB 2.

Yesterday I was recording to external drive via thunderbolt cable, but today tested internal SSD drive. Still same problem. I am recording guitars for album and this is slowing process little bit :D

I tried also Pro Tools and same thing seems to happen there. DI track is delayed and reamped track is not at same position than original.

axe protools.jpg

Are you recording via USB? If you create a composite audio card you have to sync the Axe (or vice versa) using a spdif cable or AES cable, otherwise bad things will occur. Also, check if you've got some sort of latency compensation in software.

Yes via USB, but only Axe is attached to computer, so its not composite.

There is recording delay that I could change, but could it then move effected wet track position too much to left at first take. After reamping it might go to right position then.

Well in logic it's possible to turn on automatic latency compensation, this is used when for example you make an audio connection on a bus and the sound comes back, or using AU plugins, etc. This could also be the case using the reamping via USB, because in your picture, the reamped track is forward in time.
So I think that the middle track, the DI signal, is so low in the start position that isn't visible graphically (the amped track seems to ticken when the DI comes in in the image), while in the bottom track is a latency compensation problem

I had both compensation turned on and low latency more and Limit for that 0ms. Reamped signal comes little bit earlier than DI signal, but not as much as the original effected signal.

compentsation.jpg

Same thing happening for me. Before reamping I just put a fairly loud "click" in the audio a couple of seconds prior to the DI, so when I reamp it's easy to line up the click on the DI and the reaped track, since it's just a single waveform. Would rather not have to do this so if anyone can figure out how to just get them to line up automatically in Logic, that would be helpful.

I still have this issue. I just record two track via axe first one is DI (channel 3 from axe) and stereo track (1-2). And I zoomed to max vertically and pressed also that Waveform zoom button that makes waveforms more easy to see.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• axe di track latency.jpg
    axe di track latency.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 14
And that was after I tried to set Axe USB buffer size to minimum. didn't hear any changes there. not even those clicks and pops someone warned about.

Also I set I/O buffer size from logic to 32 samples.

Axe has been upgraded to Quantum 1.02

Now I can't this test with Pro Tools, but I had tried it at earlier posts.

AND its also great that its about three weeks when our record mixing should start at studio.

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/new-madhattersden-album-excelsior

Sometimes device is also unable to connect with Axe Edit software. It says "unable to query version information" or something like that. After reboot or two or after several Axe Edit reboots it finally connected. Sometimes it connects always I think. When its connected Axe edit works ok.

No other problems with devices. Maybe these can be linked somehow?

I'm experiencing this problem right now. My dry tracks are all a micro second behind the wet track.

Did you ever find a solution?

Sorry to hear about the problem, as that would drive me bonkers. Do you think there is any chance it could be related to the OS version?

Curious - what do you have the buffer size set to in the axe? I'm assuming the buffer the sizes you gave are for Logic.

Back
Top Bottom