Recording Video with Axe Fx II and Webcam

DrNic

Hi all, first post so please go easy on me! I have searched the forum but can't seem to find anything useful for Windows users...

I've had my AE2 for best part of a year (great service from G66!) and it has replaced all of my gear - it really does do "the sound in your head", and more besides...

Simply put, I want to record some video for teaching purposes. I use a none-too-fancy Logitech Pro C920 webcam. I'd like to record the Axe Fx and backing track directly into Reaper on PC (bypassing the cam mic entirely, at least for now).

I'm a bit of a technological imbecile, so could someone please let me know the most straightforward way of doing this and most appropriate video editing software I would need to use?

With many thanks in advance, Nic

Hello, i also got such concern, and here 's how i handle it : you have two scenarios/use cases here :

-For teaching or collaborative purposes, i like to Chat (using Skype for example) with people and be allowed to : speak, launch a backing track, and play over it so my guests can listen simultaneously to this three sources.
-For youtuve video clip-like recording

For the first scenario, it hasn't to be perfect (aka sound quality or my playing can have some errors) : i use an external interface which allows digital mixing and routings (Mostly MOTU or Focusrite rack/semi racks ones); therefore, i mix the three sources before sending them to a virtual bus which physically ouputs to another input, used as the input of the chatting software. Some Interface also allows wirtual loopback which handle the same goal.

For the second one, i prefer recording the video first, then record the audio; recording both can be done, but usually are not that effective if you are alone, handling computer and DAW management, guitar playing, axefx, and recording camera. The last one is obvious as you would eventually push the record button the make your recording session and an hour (or more) later stop the video recording....but then you need huge time to collect video rushes, which is some waste of time IMHO. So i prefer to record audio first, then only video; then proceed to audio/video glueing using a video software.

Hope it helps a bit.

A nice week-end to you all ^^ (Le me, preparing my new Mac DAW to receive AE3.0 and retrieving AXEFXII Audio drivers...)

Thanks guys for the advice - and for the warm welcome!

It all seems rather complicated - I had hoped I could somehow just connect the AE2 to the camera, run the backing track through it and play along for a quick-and-dirty solution...! Obviously I would need to record audio and video simultaneously as I would be improvising over tracks etc... Perhaps I can try importing Reaper files into Sony Vegas and syncing them up with video.

Will start experimenting. Thanks again - any other advice always welcome!

N

You would have to probably export the reaper file as an audio format that is supported by Sony Vegas. You could also check out Adobe Premiere. Most of these come from fairly reasonable home use editions to more expensive and fully featured versions. You may find the basic ones are enough for what you need.

It all seems rather complicated - I had hoped I could somehow just connect the AE2 to the camera, run the backing track through it and play along for a quick-and-dirty solution...! Obviously I would need to record audio and video simultaneously as I would be improvising over tracks etc... Perhaps I can try importing Reaper files into Sony Vegas and syncing them up with video.

Will start experimenting. Thanks again - any other advice always welcome!

N

I used an old video camera, REAPER, and Windows Video Maker and made some cool videos. You just run both at the same time like you mentioned, and then just sync them together after the fact. Actually works out pretty good.

Using Quicktime is one of the easiest ways to record and upload to youtube there is, becomes even easier is you have a Laptop.

This is what you need..... Headphones, a 2/8inch (3.5mm) audio cable, a splitter from one to 2 1/8 outputs, guitar cable, Axe FX, LAptop or desktop computer and Internet connection.

You connect the 1/8inch splitter to the headphones output on the AxeFx, then one of its outputs is for your headphones and the other output if for the 1/8 inch cable that goes to the line in of your laptop or desktop comp. Now all you have to do is open Quicktime, select the record video select line in as audio source and your set!

Why not just use the USB audio function of the Axe FX? well, Quicktime , in my experience, has been the easiest way to record a video and upload it to youtube because it has a share function, or to Vimeo, Flicker, Facebook etc.... but it will only record the sound from the AxeFx and not whatever other audio from the computer is going thru the axfx, if you are using a backing track for example it will not be recorded into quicktime, this is solved by connection a second computer to the axfx, that way what ever sound comes out of the headphones it will be recorded by the "line in" computer in use.

It all seems rather complicated

Dr. Nic! You are correct, Sir. It is complicated. After seeing the results of a guy on Youtube (Pixxy Lixxx), I opted for my own similar rig by which all of my audio (live guitar, computer based MP3s for backing tracks, TH2, etc, etc...) went into an inexpensive Behringer Xenyx mixer and then into the 'mic in' of my Canon M50 (I think that's what it is) for decent results. Keep in mind... By taking the simplest of routes there are sacrifices which you will discover on your own (Audio quality? Editing? Automated video panning? Using multiple cameras?) and then solve your own.

I found the YT video for the guy who inspired me initially.

Respectfully...

Cojo

Pixxy Lixx Channel - "My Rig"

Back
Top Bottom