Recording Video & Direct with Android Phone + AX8...?

WERNER1

Inspired
So in light of the other post basically about the same thing but using an iPhone,.. are there any similar options when using an Android phone?

I run a small guitar and amp repair business and like to do some quick demo's when I repair or mod a guitar, and usually end up just using the on board mic of the phone - Quality is "ok".. but it's super fast and easy to upload to my facebook page and share with the customers... but if there was a quick easy way to do it AND have good audio quality ... well that would be AWESOME! :D

Thanks
Rick

So I guess I'll reply to my own thread :) ...

I researched this a bit more and found out that most Android cell phones actually have a mic input... it is accessed though the 'Headphone" Jack via a special cable.
3.5mm Headphone mic splitter cable for cell phone.jpg

So I picked up a couple of these for like 10 bucks on ebay and thought I'd give it a whirl..

The concept is to run my AX8 directly into the "Mic" side of the jack/cable, and monitor/listen through in ears via the headphone jack/cable.

I ended up using the headphone out port on my RME FireFace UC which I use only one XLR out (Mono) from the AX8 to one of the channels on the interface.

The goal is to use my phone's (Galaxy S7) Camera/Video recorder to record the video portion and simultaneously record the audio from the "External mic source" to that video. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get it to work on my phone all though it did say "Using external mic" when trying to record a test video.

I also have a Galaxy Tab A 8.0 tablet which is basically set up just like my phone, but I was able to get this process to work on it. I had ended up using the lesser quality camera/recorder so the video suffered a bit and I had the audio levels a bit too hot as apparently you cannot monitor the sound during recording, only listen on playback.

But that's my experience thus far. Hopefully I can post something later tonight or tomorrow night. But if this works out well this will be awesome! :D

This will probably work. I’ve done a bit of video recording from my iPhone using the RME Fireface UFX as the audio feed, but I was connecting the UFX directly to the phone via USB. It would use inputs 1/2 from the UFX as the source with the default camera app. There are other iOS apps that allow you to select which audio input channels to use.

The Fireface UC is also a “class compliant” audio device, but I don’t don’t much about Samsung/Android support for USB audio. It might be worth looking into. I’m sure the quality would be better if you could connect the UC directly to the phone.

An alternative would be recording the audio to computer via the Fireface, taking video from your phone, and then using a basic video editing app on the computer to replace (or mix in) the Fireface audio to the video file.

So in light of the other post basically about the same thing but using an iPhone,.. are there any similar options when using an Android phone?

I run a small guitar and amp repair business and like to do some quick demo's when I repair or mod a guitar, and usually end up just using the on board mic of the phone - Quality is "ok".. but it's super fast and easy to upload to my facebook page and share with the customers... but if there was a quick easy way to do it AND have good audio quality ... well that would be AWESOME! :D

Thanks
Rick
Hi mate, I know you asked about Android but I use my iPhone 7 to record my videos ( I've posted a fair few in the preset exchange) if you want to take a look. I use my scarlett interface to record the audio into my imac then use iMovie to sync up the audio and video, it works well enough for me.
If you wanted something more simple and easy Roland do a Go Mixer interface where all you do is plug in your audio (AX8) and connect your phone and it will record the direct audio as you film on your phone. Its worth checking out.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Thanks for the replies guys!

I do have the whole Photoshop/Adobe Premier set up (All though I don't have much experience with video at all..) and I thought worst case I could sync those up, but I was trying to keep it as simple as possible and it seems like trying to record the audio directly to the phones video would be the "easy" button.. I'll have to research the whole USB audio thing and see if my phone would support it.
I'll check out those other options as well..

Ok so here is the very first test I did using the little adapter/splitter cable listed earlier in the thread. Again, I am using the screen side camera of the Galaxy Tab A 8.0 Tablet so that camera is of a lesser quality than the one on the other side of the unit. Also I believe I have the audio level just a tad too hot on the input and I can here some premature break up going on a points (?) ... hopefully tonight I'll get to work some more on this..

Yeah there is a little bit of lag when using that camera on the tablet,.. the front camera is better as well as my phones.

So last night I tired to do some more test recordings with two S7's and my tablet... I couldn't get any of them to record the audio this time. I even used another one of the spliter adapters since I bought two. Not sure what's going on but I guess I need to look into other options :(

So I downloaded a known "good" Camera/Video app for Android (Open Camera) and I've switched over to using the headphone out of my REM FireFace UC out into a Behringer U-Control, then into the Micro USB port of my phone via a OTG adapter. This set up actually works, but now my Audio and Video are not in sync... I couldn't have imagined this would be this difficult! Here's a quick test vid...

Back
Top Bottom