Recording the axe-fx with the line ux2 studio?

olli666

Hi everyone,

I want to record my axe-fx ultra with the line6 ux2. I've connected the output of my axe-fx to the line inputs of my ux2 and the ux2 is connected via USB with my pc. I only want to know if this is basically the right way to connect the axe-fx with the ux2 (line inputs) because I got no sound in my daw (REAPER and WinXP). Connecting the axe-fx with the "monitor in" from my ux2, I can hear sound when I strumm the guitar so the axe-fx is not muted or something like that.

Does anyone can tell me how to record the axe-fx with the ux2 and if this is basically possible?

Regards,
Oliver

Humm... I see what you're trying to do olli, but it seems rather odd to want to keep the UX2 anywhere in-line

My advice would be - given that you have an awesome product in the Axe-FX - is to get a dedicated audio interface

Having it going through the UX2 seems a little like running a dragster on remould tyres to me ;)

Recording the Axe-Fx with Line6 UX2 Studio?

Hi everyone,

I want to record my axe-fx ultra with the line6 ux2. I've connected the output of my axe-fx to the line inputs of my ux2 and the ux2 is connected via USB with my pc. I only want to know if this is basically the right way to connect the axe-fx with the ux2 (line inputs) because I got no sound in my daw (REAPER and WinXP). Connecting the axe-fx with the "monitor in" from my ux2, I can hear sound when I strumm the guitar so the axe-fx is not muted or something like that.

Does anyone can tell me how to record the axe-fx with the ux2 and if this is basically possible?

Regards,
Oliver

Re: Recording the Axe-Fx with Line6 UX2 Studio?

I never used any Line6 interface so I cannot give you much info on how to set it properly
but it should work just fine the way you described it, AxeFx to UX2 and UX2 to your PC via USB cable.
So I believe the issues is within UX2, have you read the manual?
Btw, you can use line or XLR inputs on UX2, I would go for XLR tho.

Well to start with, are you familiar with your recording set up already aside from the Axe, or are you just starting out? i.e. Have you succesfully recorded with the UX2 before?

If you can hear sound with whatever this "monitor in" thing is (I'm guessing it just passes the input straight through to the output), I'm guessing it's something to do with the routing or channel setup in the DAW.

The connections:

Line out R and L of the axe in the Toneport line IN 1 y 2.

Open the gearbox apliccation of line 6.

Select the Line 1 y 2 out

Desactive all the effects and the reverbs in the gearbox

Adjust the levels, pan it 1 right 2 left

Make sure put the axe in STEREO and

DNW said:
Well to start with, are you familiar with your recording set up already aside from the Axe, or are you just starting out? i.e. Have you succesfully recorded with the UX2 before?

If you can hear sound with whatever this "monitor in" thing is (I'm guessing it just passes the input straight through to the output), I'm guessing it's something to do with the routing or channel setup in the DAW.

It's most likely "monitor in" in DAW, yeah.
Some interfaces can give you real time monitoring without going in and out of DAW (unless you use certain plugins and you wanna hear them too)
but some cannot, not sure in which category UX2 belongs tho, probably 2nd one.

My first attempt was Axe-Fx, UX2, REAPER (daw) and WinXP in combination. Normally I'm familiar with Ableton Live 8 with a MacBookPro and UX2, I'll give it a try this evening.

Thanx so far for the answers, every hint is welcome!

I have Ux2 as well and that's the way to do it. But I'll warn you not to go this route. Whatever is in the Ux2, maybe the converters, really drains the life out of the tone. I later bought a m-audio pro fire and my recorded tone was 100% improved.

@rsf1977: Thats exactly what I expected but it's only a test. Finally I want to buy a apogee duet, motu or even a profire 610. And yes, it's a matter of the ADC.

gotcha, yea that's the way to connect it then. It will totally work just wont bring out the best in your tone. You'll love it when you get something better to run you're axe through.

Back
Top Bottom