Recording question regarding dry signal

CyrielLenting

Inspired
Hey,

When I record (using USB into Cubase 5) both the dry and the wet guitar signal, the volume of the dry track is very low (maybe only 10% of the wet track).
When I re-amp, it sounds good/the same as when I play.
I believe I have set the input level ok because the red LED tickles.
Is this normal? I would think that this low dry volume is bad for the signal/noise ratio.

(I mostly play rock/metal using hum buckers.)
(This happens with FW 9, 10, 11b)

Thanks

Hey,

When I record (using USB into Cubase 5) both the dry and the wet guitar signal, the volume of the dry track is very low (maybe only 10% of the wet track).
When I re-amp, it sounds good/the same as when I play.
I believe I have set the input level ok because the red LED tickles.
Is this normal? I would think that this low dry volume is bad for the signal/noise ratio.

(I mostly play rock/metal using hum buckers.)
(This happens with FW 9, 10, 11b)

Thanks

Perfectly normal. It should be the same level as your guitar going into the Axe which is very low.

Last edited:
Perfectly normal. It should be the same level as your guitar going into the Axe which is very low.

Ok great thanks.
I will start recording 'soon', so I thought lets check this first instead of having to re-record everything because of a gaining issue :)

Cheers.

I was wondering the same but i already knew that the dry signal would be VERY low. Is there a way to increase the dry signal's volume via axe fx?

I was wondering the same but i already knew that the dry signal would be VERY low. Is there a way to increase the dry signal's volume via axe fx?
You can use a nullfilter or a volume block for that.
I'm not quite sure what you want to achieve with that, though...

Turning it up won't change anything regarding noise, as long as you record via USB or the digital outs, as the noise comes from your guitar and the A/D input of the Axe. Everything after is digital and introduces no additional noise.

I have started to get to grips with recording in cubase and had a similar issue to the OP. At first I though nothing was being recorded because it was so low as to hardly produce a visible wave form in the cubase track. I thought after spending hourse reading various form posts that I would probably need to get a new USB interface, but at the last minute I treid again and realised there was something being recorded and even played back at the same volume for reamping. So I guess all is well. I might try reamping using something like EZ mix just to check the level is ok with that as well.
It was also a bit frustrating that nothing shows up in the mixer strip in cubase which does when I use my Yamaha THR which I had before getting the Axe Fx. There doenst seem to be much to control the input level to prevent clipping other than rely on the fact it is not clipping in the Axe so therefore must be ok.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone else who has had experience of using the Axe with Cubase.
Cheers
Jon

I have started to get to grips with recording in cubase and had a similar issue to the OP. At first I though nothing was being recorded because it was so low as to hardly produce a visible wave form in the cubase track. I thought after spending hourse reading various form posts that I would probably need to get a new USB interface, but at the last minute I treid again and realised there was something being recorded and even played back at the same volume for reamping. So I guess all is well. I might try reamping using something like EZ mix just to check the level is ok with that as well.
It was also a bit frustrating that nothing shows up in the mixer strip in cubase which does when I use my Yamaha THR which I had before getting the Axe Fx. There doenst seem to be much to control the input level to prevent clipping other than rely on the fact it is not clipping in the Axe so therefore must be ok.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone else who has had experience of using the Axe with Cubase.
Cheers
Jon

You can scale the waveform view in cubase so you can see it better.
If you are recording a guitar level signal from the Axe-fx USB, you're not going clip.

The axe-fx just passes the unity gain signal from the guitar, thru the axe-fx, to the DAW, The A/D conversion is optimized with Axe-fx, then lowered after conversion to make it unity gain.

In traditional reamping, you would record a nice strong signal then reduce before you sent it back to the amp to get back to guitar level. Getting it to the exact level the guitar the guitar originally put out could be tricky. the Axe-fx does all this for you.

Thanks for the advice. Im currently recording some solos for someones else project and am also recording some DI tracks as well as my chosen tones. Hopefully the producer will like the sounds tones I have chosen but can reamp using his own kit if he wants a ceratin type of tone which is different from what Im going for. Will the DI tracks be ok for other types of kit, I know he has a a kemper.

Thanks for the advice. Im currently recording some solos for someones else project and am also recording some DI tracks as well as my chosen tones. Hopefully the producer will like the sounds tones I have chosen but can reamp using his own kit if he wants a ceratin type of tone which is different from what Im going for. Will the DI tracks be ok for other types of kit, I know he has a a kemper.

If they want they can just up the level out if needed. The original signal, even though at a low level, should still have good SNR.

Back
Top Bottom