Recording problems

dharq

Inspired
I am not getting this recording right, I know my Axe FX II XL+ can do a better job, I am doing things wrong I know it .. I have been recorded and trying to get a decent sound but its not working. so I put in a drum loop and play along every time it seems the drums get washed out and the guitar ha too much treble. I have superior drummer 2, so I find a loop export it, then import it as a audio file to the track put that in the background and play along. somehow it never comes out the way I like it I tried adding EQ or managing the sound, then I bounce the track .. if its normalized its too quiet, if its not the drums are washed out and guitar is not right either..

gear:
Axe FXII XL+ firmware 10.01
iMac OS X 10.13.5 w/ high quality USB cable
Logic Pro X 10.4
Guitar Ibanez 7 string w/ EMG 707 pickups
Furman Power Conditioner: PL-Plus-DMC 15A

there is some sort of compression or limiting happening from too much signal. i hear clipping and compression.

what are your DAW meters showing you?

the 2nd clip sounds better. if there's too much treble, turn down the treble?

there is some sort of compression or limiting happening from too much signal. i hear clipping and compression.

what are your DAW meters showing you?

the 2nd clip sounds better. if there's too much treble, turn down the treble?
I am having a clipping issue , but trying to keep under the clip

treble down on amp block?

is there a way to not wash the sound out with bouncing

On that first sample, you need to turn everything down. There is some clipping and compression going on. Keep the drum and guitar faders down so the level on the Master Fader is under -6dB. Nothing should ever clip, like not even for a split second.

For the second clip, turn the guitar down? I think the tone isn't too bad.

Also, if you're trying to get it to sound like an actual recording, metal is typically recorded with two guitar takes. One on the left side and one on the right side. In your samples the guitar is dead center which is where the snare drum and kick drums usually sit in the mix. Your guitar is fighting with the frequencies of those two drums so it's going to sound "busy"

Which interface do you use? I record with MacBook pro, Logic ProX , Apogee Duet. My Axe record I directly in audio. No problems at all, no clipping. In the past I record my guitar left and the second track right. With my Axe Fx that is no longer necessary and record in stereo. What you can always do is 1 track move a bit

Which interface do you use? I record with MacBook pro, Logic ProX , Apogee Duet. My Axe record I directly in audio. No problems at all, no clipping. In the past I record my guitar left and the second track right. With my Axe Fx that is no longer necessary and record in stereo. What you can always do is 1 track move a bit
just use the axe fx straight with usb to the iMac with Logic Pro X

Last edited:
Gain is definitely your problem.
I have stuff in my DAW (when recording drums, bass and everything else) sometimes around -18db. At the very end of things on the master bus I use a maximiser and limiter (normally Ozone elements 8 these days)
So when recording I normally have to turn my interface up quite loud and then back down again once i've done a bit of work and i'm ready to bring the level up with a maximiser/comprossor/limiter

If you are not happy with the treble in the recording but don't want to alter the preset, could you try some EQ in the DAW track?
(that's a question intended to help me with the same kind of issue and understand how to make better recordings not an expert piece of advice)

With metal (that's all I play, listen to, and record) you definitely want to record 2 separate tracks and split them left and right, and some people even do quad tracking (two left and two right, duplicating what is played). I use anywhere from 60-100 percent split each side, depending on how I want it to sound with headphones on. With recording, it isn't always about adding level or EQ, sometimes it's about taking something away from those as well. Watch your frequency range for each drum and instrument, they need to be in different ranges or they will fight each other and get lost in the mix and you'll constantly be messing with levels and never really solving the problem. And I agree with HarrySound, compressor, maximizer and limiter will keep your overall level maxed without peeking.

Back
Top Bottom