Recording Problem (Help Needed)

Faust_o_O

Hey guys, ok here's the trouble:
I've been trying to record some music with my Axe FX II. So far, the clean tones sounds just fine on the USB, recorded directly from the Axe FX II itself, but when I record with distortion such as recto orange etc, the sound I get during the playback is a sharp, over distorted, somehow shitty tone that sounded nothing like how it sounded when it comes out from my amp. My set up is: Guitar --> BlackStar Tube Amp --> Axe FX II --> Computer and playback via the computer speakers. There is obviously something I am not setting right, I have been searching for answers and I think it might be the latency? I don't know. I need help.
My recording software is: Sonar LE
And furthermore, is there a difference in the sound of Axe FX II if I uses a tube amp? I have been seeing videos of people using like their computer speakers or other stuff like that. I felt that it made a difference in my sound because whenever I download a patch from the forums, it would sound soft and shitty coming out from the amp. Should I not use the amp anymore? What other solutions are there?
I'm sorry if I am asking too much but I really need the help of you guys D:

Hmm. Is it possible that there is digital clipping? Check the meters in sonar and see if the meters are clipping (in the red). If that's the case then you need to lower then input volume/gain.

It could also just be your speakers. What kind of speakers are you using? I'd try and invest a decent but not too expensive pair of studio monitors if possible.

Try posting some clips too. It might help to identify the problem.

Am I right that you're just using the preamp part of your amp into the Axe II, apply effects and then go into the PC ?

If yes, then there are two of the most important sound contributing factors missing: power amp and the cab.

Unfortunately, there's no way of just using a power amp sim in the Axe, so either would have to use a loadbox to get your whole amp's signal into the Axe,
or you set up separate recording patches, where you use an amp sim and your tube amp not at all.
A warning just in case: do NOT plug a power amp output /speaker output into your Axe-Fx, this will cause damage.

In any case, there has to be a cab sim at some point when recording direct. Is there one in your patch?

Was going to say the same seb.

If live you going back into the blackstar for power amp and speaker, then your missing that part by sending the audio via USB for recording.

if your recording - forget the Blackstar completely and use the amp sims in the AFX, including enabling the power amp and the speaker sims.

From the AxeFx to the comp. are you recording ASIO? If not then that could be your problem.
It could also be digital clipping as mentioned above, or not turning the power amp sims off.

Hey guys, I am not too sure I have this ASIO thing in my computer. And I am using the axe fx with power amp and cab sim off while recording. If I drop the black star and record will it fix the problem? I will try to get the audio of my problem up so you guys can identify the problem.

Another update on my situation now guys, it seems disabling my black star and enabling amp sim made the recording sound a lot better! But the problem is now I can't hear myself while playing and only get to hear it during playback. Do I need to get a headphone?

Another update on my situation now guys, it seems disabling my black star and enabling amp sim made the recording sound a lot better! But the problem is now I can't hear myself while playing and only get to hear it during playback. Do I need to get a headphone?
You might be able to plug your computer speakers into the "phones" plug (sometimes a mini-jack to jack converter is needed).

Screw what I said about a lot better, when I played my djent tone it sounded the same again, I will try to post the sound for you guys.

Back
Top Bottom