Recording Pick Attack As Well

thewizardguy

Inspired
I was wondering if anyone tried this studio trick with the axe fx?

Record the Axe direct and record a room mic (sm57?) at the spot where the pick meets the strings. Adds a different dimension to the sound -- might cure some issues people have with things sounding "direct."

Just curious if anyone's tried it.

I find boosting your amp with an overdrive gives nice pick attack and actually recording the plectrum hitting the strings seems odd to me...

I was wondering if anyone tried this studio trick with the axe fx?

Record the Axe direct and record a room mic (sm57?) at the spot where the pick meets the strings. Adds a different dimension to the sound -- might cure some issues people have with things sounding "direct."

Just curious if anyone's tried it.

I've done that a few times, but not with the Axe FX, and not to "cure issues" I think it sounds really nice, if mixed properly especially when using heavy distortion with the amp, it's worth trying in my opinion, even if it seems crazy.. :)

haha, i do everything i can to reduce pick attack as much as possible. different strokes for different folks i guess. rock on.

haha, i do everything i can to reduce pick attack as much as possible. different strokes for different folks i guess. rock on.

In my opinion it's not the same sound as when you hear lot's of pick sound with distortion, i don't like a lot of pick sound either, and try to reduce is as much as possible, adding the mic close to strings depending on the part you're playing gives you a nice clarity to the notes, which you can't get any other way, It's almost like doubling a clean GTR on top of the distortion GTR..I like it, but haven't used it many times.. try it sometime with a good condenser mic, not a 57, like i said it's crazy but makes an interesting GTR track sound :)

You might also try a two amp patch, mixing a cleanish amp with an overdriven one. I have read that EJ used a Fender Twin along with the Marshall lead amp for much of the studio version of "Cliffs Of Dover."

This is exactly what I wanted. Thanks guys! Definitely not for every situation or person, but a viable technique. Love it!

Back
Top Bottom