Recording my friends band using my Axe FX II...

shotgunn

Fractal Fanatic
I used to be in a band with the bass player of this band years ago. The keyboard parts (for the most part) are MIDI tracks exported from Tabit and imported into Pro Tools. There is one part we did actually get recorded. It was actually tracked using Sample Whiz (by Jordan Rudess) on an iPhone. I have been doing all the mixing on my Sony MDR-7506 headphones. Basically at this point all of the recorded tracks are just scratch tracks. The drums were also exported from Tabit and imported into Pro Tools where I used SD 2.3.0. There is some 'machine gun' effect on some snare hits. I'm not too worried about it since we will be tracking drums this Saturday.... IF THE DRUMMER EVER SHOWS UP!!!

Let me know what you think. It's still a rough mix, but I think it is coming together nicely.

http://soundcloud.com/shotgunn-1/hatred-06062012-001

Last edited:
I dig it. Just listening through my work desktop speakers, but for a "rough" mix I think it sounds great. Were all guitar parts tracked with the Axe II? Can you give a little specifics on the amp models used?

Needs drums... for sure!

It's not my flavor of ice cream mind you... but that's sounding good. Once you have the drums... it'll be much tighter. The cymbals are a bit much for me and detract a bit from the rest.

I used the Euro Uber amp model. I think I use the TMA block matching a Petrucci tone. Then I EQ'd the heck out of it in the mix. The studio I tracked in had some crappy monitors that I struggled with. I could not get a good tone from the Axe II to save my life. That is why I tried the TMA block. Yes, all the guitars were tracked through the Axe II. I used a touch of compression in PT and a wide shallow phaser to fatten the guitars. It is very subtle, but when I mute it you really feel the loss.

I dig it. Just listening through my work desktop speakers, but for a "rough" mix I think it sounds great. Were all guitar parts tracked with the Axe II? Can you give a little specifics on the amp models used?

Yes, it totally needs drums for sure. His Grandfather just died so it looks like he'll miss yet another session. I still love the sound of SD 2.3.0 though. It is a great tool for a guy like me without a band. Anyway, I agree, the cymbals were quite loud in that last mix. I was experimenting with the level and a nice hall reverb on them. I think the EQ I did on the mix buss exaggerated the cymbals a bit much. I think this one I posted in post #2 should be better.

Needs drums... for sure!

It's not my flavor of ice cream mind you... but that's sounding good. Once you have the drums... it'll be much tighter. The cymbals are a bit much for me and detract a bit from the rest.

Back
Top Bottom