Recording Multiple DI's At Once?

cheap

I have a question about a very specific set up for recording with the Axe III:

With the stereo DI Input when recording via USB is it only possible to record the instrument 1 input signal? I have an Ernie Ball Dustin Kensrue model on the way that allows you to use a stereo cable to send the pickups out individually and this would be incredibly useful for the way I build tones (usually not a 50/50 balance between both pickups).

Would running a blank line (IN2-OUT2) and not altering the volume at all yield the same results? Ironically looking for the least headaches and most automatic way to get this done haha

The analog inputs on the Axe are balanced (TRS), but not stereo. If I'm understanding your question correctly, you'd want to run a splitter cable (TRS to two TS) out of your guitar and into two separate Axe inputs. You could then select one or both of those inputs to record in your DAW. If you record both inputs, I would record them on two separate tracks in your DAW, as opposed to a single stereo track.

The analog inputs on the Axe are balanced (TRS), but not stereo. If I'm understanding your question correctly, you'd want to run a splitter cable (TRS to two TS) out of your guitar and into two separate Axe inputs. You could then select one or both of those inputs to record in your DAW. If you record both inputs, I would record them on two separate tracks in your DAW, as opposed to a single stereo track.
Yeah, you got it! The more I think about it the more it might be a dumb question haha

So for recording both pickups in one take would it make sense to run it like so:

-Bridge Pickup, Tip > Input 1 > Dedicated DI Output
-Neck Pickup, Ring > Input 2 > IN2-OUTX

Is the DI output of the Axe the same as running a blank line of shunts without any processing?

Would it also be possible to control the volume of each pickup getting summed into the processing line? The guitar shows up on Thursday so soon I'll be able to just sit there and try it, but I'm trying to make sure I'm going about it the best way

If you're looking to record just the raw guitar signal with no processing, using the Axe as your interface, I would run one side of the guitar signal to input 1, the other side to input 2. The Axe will show as the interface in your DAW. Input channels 5&6 will be a direct tap off of input 1 (same signal at input 5&6), no processing. Input channels 7&8 will be a direct tap off of input 2 (7=left, 8=right), no processing. You can change the tap point for channels 7&8 in the Setup section of the Axe menu.

If you want to add and record any processing at all, you'll need to set up a signal path in the Axe. When you add an output block in the signal path, Out 1 block feeds DAW inputs 1&2, Out 2 block feeds DAW inputs 3&4. I don't have an Axe manual in front of me at the moment, but there's a section in there that specifically covers routing to a DAW. I'm doing this from memory, so take a look at that section of the manual to make sure my memory isn't failing me....

Back
Top Bottom