Recording into an iPad Air 2

Ron_R

Power User
Hello all!

I haven't been on here in awhile and I've searched for the answer, but can't seem to find what I'm seeking.

I usually record into an old Macbook Pro, but it's getting worse for wear.

I recently bought an iPad Air 2 and would like to try to record directly into it using the Axe Fx 2, through a USB to Lightning cable.

Will this work? I need to research getting the actual cable, but wanted some words of wisdom first. Has anyone tried this? Do I need an addition interface to record the Axe Fx 2 into the iPad's Garageband DAW?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
I may try it just for the hell of it and see what happens. If I can get around to it soon, I will report back.

Hello all!

I haven't been on here in awhile and I've searched for the answer, but can't seem to find what I'm seeking.

I usually record into an old Macbook Pro, but it's getting worse for wear.

I recently bought an iPad Air 2 and would like to try to record directly into it using the Axe Fx 2, through a USB to Lightening cable.

Will this work? I need to research getting the actual cable, but wanted some words of wisdom first. Has anyone tried this? Do I need an addition interface to record the Axe Fx 2 into the iPad's Garageband DAW?

Thanks for any help!

You'll need an iPad Lighting-to-USB camera kit or an USB host device like the iConnectivty stuff.

I have an Apogee Jam 96k that works really well. It obviously wouldn't be all digital. A bit cheaper than $200.

Thanks for all the replies!

My biggest issue at this point is whether I will need a driver of some kind to allow the Axe Fx II and the iPad to interact, but it seems I won't. We'll see.

I tried it with the USB adapter and my MkII with garageband. Does not work. 'Device not Recognized'.

I use a Line 6 Sonic Port. It is a great device and it has a headphone jack for iPhones >= 7.

There are lots of dual mode devices nowadays depending on how big you want to go; so iPad interfaces are pretty legit these days.

Whatever you do ALWAYS use the lightning port interfaces. Besides being future proof, it does not suffer from the insane cross talk you get with those hopelessly bad headphone jack interfaces that run three analog signals down a tiny uninsulated cable. Those are not even suitable for scratch tracks, IMHO.

Last edited:
I tried it with the USB adapter and my MkII with garageband. Does not work. 'Device not Recognized'.

I use a Line 6 Sonic Port. It is a great device and it has a headphone jack for iPhones >= 7.

There are lots of dual mode devices nowadays depending on how big you want to go; so iPad interfaces are pretty legit these days.

Whatever you do ALWAYS use the lightning port interfaces. Besides being future proof, it does not suffer from the insane cross talk you get with those hopelessly bad headphone jack interfaces that run three analog signals down a tiny uninsulated cable. Those are not even suitable for scratch tracks, IMHO.

The Ik pro duo 2 is lightening connector. I use with my iPhone 6plus and iPad Air all the time for many different thing.

It works if you first connect your axefx to a pc/mac with the axefx drivers. Then the axefx becomes class compliant.
It is not at boot time.
The AX8 is, though.

Last edited:
Take my advice/opinion with a grain of salt as I don't have an iPad or any Apple products.

I don't think you'll be able to record the Axe FX's audio via a USB-to-Thunderbolt adaptor. For Windows/Mac desktops, you need to install a USB audio driver to have the OS recognize the Axe FX as an audio device. There's no USB audio driver to install on the iPad so just getting a USB-to-Thunderbolt adaptor isn't going to solve your problem. You'll have to stick with going analog and get one of those Apogee things or something similar that accepts the Axe FX's 1/4" out.

Back
Top Bottom