Recording in Logic

Voodime

Hey guys just wondering what im doing wrong with Logic , i have probably overlooked something so obvious but its just doin my head in ....i am doing the whole reamping thing ...when i arm record my guitar track/s my guitar tone sounds metallic if that makes sense ...and then when i dont arm record the track it goes back to sounding awesome :p

any help would be greatly appreciated :)

It sounds like you may be hearing/listening back to the audio as it goes into & also back from your PC.
Digital stuff incurs propagation delay, so the two sounds (input & output) are out by a few ms's. IOW, cards that say "Zero Latency" are actually extremely low latency.

This does not happen in the analog word.

Check all your monitoring & playback choices.

Does this make sense?

Cheers,
Mo.

Last edited:
In other words, turn off software monitoring ! :)

(Or bring down the fader to zero while recording)

I record the other way. I turn ON software monitoring (Samp/Seq) & turn OFF all "through the card" monitoring. This is largely because I often monitor with sub-groups & effects.
But it's only IMO & YMMV etc.
:p

Cheers,
Mo.

you guys are awesome !! yep that makes sense !!!! okay so if i may ask just a couple more questions for each of you cause im very new to this and i wanna take in as much as i can :)

Mojik - in just a few words whats the diff between analog and digital ...(just in terms of what you where saying)

Thomas - it may sound silly but how will i be able to hear what im playing if i turn off software monitoring ?? the way i got things configured is iv got my axe fx 2 hooked up to a mixer / pa system for output so i can hear what i play while i record or should i hook

is the fadar the master volumn in the bottom right hand corner of logic ?? it seems to get better once i switch that down ..

My quickest & safer way to record is to arm but MUTE the track i am recording.

Relying on software monitoring could be a problem while making fast legatos to get them in place, because what you hear is a bit late (due to your soundcards latency) from what you are playing. I personnally have difficulties to handle speed playing in such usage.

Muting can be Midi controlled too, so you can get it ergonomic (depends on your way to handle Logic : keyboard, midi controlled transport bar...)

The cons of muting the recorded track depends on how many times you'll have to listen and verify each recording. But i think most guitarists know if a take is good or not right before pushing the stop button; if not well just use Cycle and PI/PO until it is ^^

Last edited:
haha i had to laugh at your comment Gaemeth ..'But i think most guitarists know if a take is good or not right before pushing the stop button' ....even the best takes are still not good enough haha gotta try and rememeber 'Dime-vision' :p

haha i had to laugh at your comment Gaemeth ..'But i think most guitarists know if a take is good or not right before pushing the stop button' ....even the best takes are still not good enough haha gotta try and rememeber 'Dime-vision' :p

Lol i know what you mean man...
I should have add... until next day re listening 80)

Hi Voodime.
In the analog world, signal passes through components at the speed of light, which is "instantaneous". This means that you don't hear any difference, or weirdness, between what goes one way & the other (input & output). It's all immediate.

In the digital world, however, some type of processing takes place & the machine that does this processing (CPU's - which are in your soundcard as well as your PC) takes a tiny amount of time to do this work. It can be as little as a few milliseconds (& it's more properly called "propagation delay"), but when you hear the same signal "doubled up" & just a few ms apart from the original signal, that can sound metallic, as you have described. The sound going in to the CPU gets processed & comes out a few ms's later. And, in fact, this is the basis of the Flanging effect; a delay(s) of just a few ms's added to the original signal, with some modulation happening.

Please note I am not saying that what you are experiencing IS this, but it sounds like it could be.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mo.

PS I am not a Logic user, but the principles of recording software are all the same.

I the old days we had a mixing console that sent signals
to the monitors and to Logic. In that way we listen to the
analog directsignal before it hits the computor.

Nowadays there is directmonitoring, with no latenzy, in most
soundinterfaces. That means we don't need a mixer anymore. The only reason for software monitoring would be
effects from logic (on the guitar you are recording), for example.

I personally have an external tc unit just for the monitoring effects
while recording. Just to get in the mood (I don't record those effects)

I hope I made some sence :)

You can connect your axe 2 direct to your active speakers if you want.
You can use it as your sound card/ interface.

you guys are awesome !! yep that makes sense !!!! okay so if i may ask just a couple more questions for each of you cause im very new to this and i wanna take in as much as i can :)

Mojik - in just a few words whats the diff between analog and digital ...(just in terms of what you where saying)

Thomas - it may sound silly but how will i be able to hear what im playing if i turn off software monitoring ?? the way i got things configured is iv got my axe fx 2 hooked up to a mixer / pa system for output so i can hear what i play while i record or should i hook

Last edited:
Aaaaaaahhh souvenir, souvenir...
here was my very first Daw..uh no Aaw
tascam-portastudio-464-312899.jpg

man! it's amazing how technology has evolved fast !

*zig* I am getting old...

Aaaaaaahhh souvenir, souvenir...
here was my very first Daw..uh no Aaw
tascam-portastudio-464-312899.jpg

man! it's amazing how technology has evolved fast !

*zig* I am getting old...

I still have one of those. A relic! But like you use Logic now. Waiting for 10. Logic that is! I'm sure Cliff will be at 15 before Logic 10 is released. :)

MM

Back
Top Bottom