Recording Help Please

Bam5150

Recording Help

I have 5150 cab double mic’d through Scarlett front xlr inputs 1&2 > mac mini > Logic Pro.
No issues. Have track 1 L mono and track 2 R mono in logic

Now, I have Axe 3 USB > Mac mini > Logic Pro. Had to make aggregate in Mac audio to use both interfaces at same time. ( followed a you tube for this)

This is where it gets aggravating. No mater what inputs/ outputs I assign or change in Mac audio to affect tracks 3 & 4 I cannot get axe 3 to just give me a L & R mono so in logic. When I look at axe input/ outputs in Mac audio it says axe L is input 7 and axe R is input 8. I’ve tried all the outputs available and it either won’t give me any sounds or crazy buzzing and feedback.

I thought this would be straight forward and relatively easy. Any Guidance would be appreciated

Thank you

Recording Help

I have 5150 cab double mic’d through Scarlett front xlr inputs 1&2 > mac mini > Logic Pro.
No issues. Have track 1 L mono and track 2 R mono in logic

Now, I have Axe 3 USB > Mac mini > Logic Pro. Had to make aggregate in Mac audio to use both interfaces at same time. ( followed a you tube for this)

This is where it gets aggravating. No mater what inputs/ outputs I assign or change in Mac audio to affect tracks 3 & 4 I cannot get axe 3 to just give me a L & R mono so in logic. When I look at axe input/ outputs in Mac audio it says axe L is input 7 and axe R is input 8. I’ve tried all the outputs available and it either won’t give me any sounds or crazy buzzing and feedback.

I thought this would be straight forward and relatively easy. Any Guidance would be appreciated

Thank you

It sounds like you have the usb channels mixed up. Audio MIDI Setup will show you which ones are which. Or, rearrange the aggregate so the Axe-FX comes first (restart Logic after you do that). The recording guide has instructions for using aggregates, so it might help to refer to that.

It sounds like you have the usb channels mixed up. Audio MIDI Setup will show you which ones are which. Or, rearrange the aggregate so the Axe-FX comes first (restart Logic after you do that). The recording guide has instructions for using aggregates, so it might help to refer to that.
So make axe my “ clock” instead of Scarlett

Setting the clock master won’t make any difference. Just look at the usb channel numbers in Audio MIDI Setup to see what you should use. Using aggregates is simple, but you have to use the right usb channels. See the recording guide for instructions.

I use SPDIF with a Scarlett interface on Windows so not the same use case, but what others are suggesting is to check the output on the Axe for the USB. You can do this from the front panel of under Setup in Axe-Edit.

1711210058273.png

Setting the clock master won’t make any difference. Just look at the usb channel numbers in Audio MIDI Setup to see what you should use. Using aggregates is simple, but you have to use the right usb channels. See the recording guide for instructions.
Thank you

I use SPDIF with a Scarlett interface on Windows so not the same use case, but what others are suggesting is to check the output on the Axe for the USB. You can do this from the front panel of under Setup in Axe-Edit.

View attachment 137368
Ahh ha. So it could be an issue of output one is set to stereo which I would need to set to mono L&R ? Cause I’ve used every combination with inputs and outputs on logic side of things to separate axe inputs and it always results in both tracks being stereo or no sound or lots of F’d up signal sound

Ahh ha. So it could be an issue of output one is set to stereo which I would need to set to mono L&R ?

No, there are no settings you need to change on the Axe-FX. The Output Mode setting doesn't have any effect on the USB output anyway.

It's hard to tell what you're trying to do, but if you want to record the left and right channels of output 1 into two mono tracks in Logic, all you need to do is assign the correct usb channel to each mono track. If the Axe-FX is the first device in the aggregate, that would be channels 1 and 2. (To make the Axe-FX the first device, turn off "use" for the Scarlett, then turn it back on. Restart Logic after you do that.)

Last edited:
No, there are no settings you need to change on the Axe-FX. The Output Mode setting doesn't have any effect on the USB output anyway.

It's hard to tell what you're trying to do, but if you want to record the left and right channels of output 1 into two mono tracks in Logic, all you need to do is assign the correct usb channel to each mono track. If the Axe-FX is the first device in the aggregate, that would be channels 1 and 2. (To make the Axe-FX the first device, turn off "use" for the Scarlett, then turn it back on. Restart Logic after you do that.)
Ok. I will try what you are advising. Right now I have cab that is double mic’d going through Scarlett and set to track 1&2 ( input 1&2) in logic. Works fine. As of now, Tracks 3&4 in logic has the inputs set as track 3> axe 7L and track 4 as axe 8R. The both act like double stereo tracks. When I mute one the volume goes down but I still hear stereo from the one that I left unmuted. I can take pics of what I’m doing

As of now, Tracks 3&4 in logic has the inputs set as track 3> axe 7L and track 4 as axe 8R. The both act like double stereo tracks. When I mute one the volume goes down but I still hear stereo from the one that I left unmuted.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're trying to say. I suspect you're getting tripped up on how to record an Axe-FX via USB and this has nothing to do with aggregates. For example, why would you be recording channels 7 and 8? Maybe just try to say in simple terms what you want to do?

I want to run mic’d cab L&R 2 separate tracks up middle of tone then axe I need them mono to pan L&R for WDW

@GlennO is brilliant but he's also modest ;) 🤘and I havent seen it suggested yet, so I recommend reading his guide and watching his videos in here.

There is a wealth of knowledge in there, reading it should be mandatory first step for any questions about recording and the AxeFx III.

It was invaluable info for me, I learned far more than I was seeking when I read it. You may resolve the issue by reading something in that guide which flips the lights on.

Good luck!

I just want want 4 tracks 2 from cab into focusrite Scarlett and 2 from axe usb so I can pan what I want to mesh my tone

In that case, record two usb channels from the AxeFX and two from the Scarlett. Which 4 channels to use depends on how you have things set up. If you need help figuring out which usb channels to use, you’ll need to provide details on your routing and aggregation.

In that case, record two usb channels from the AxeFX and two from the Scarlett. Which 4 channels to use depends on how you have things set up. If you need help figuring out which usb channels to use, you’ll need to provide details on your routing and aggregation.
I’ll provide detailed routing today for sure.

Back
Top Bottom