Recording Help Needed!!

KAM

I've been recording through my Steinberg UR22 with my Kemper just fine. Today I finally tried recording with my AX8 and it sounds like detuned, digitalized, static crap. I've checked levels on my interface and on the AX8, but no matter how I adjust the levels, it still sounds like crap. I tried a 1/4" cable and an XLR, but same results. I'm using Audacity by the way. What could be the problem?

Could you upload a sample recording and your preset ?

It's just a bunch of garbled, distorted, detuned sounding crap. Here's the thing. I used Sonar to record with it, had to play with the levels a bit, and it came out OK. The problem I was having with that is that I usually used the headphone out on the Steinberg interface to monitor playback and recording. Every device I've used so far hasn't been a problem, but with the AX8, playback is very faint although I can monitor the guitar signal loud and clear. I had to use the built-in computer speakers for playback so I could hear how loud it was actually recording.

One thing I loved about the Kemper and the Axe FX II I had was that the Kemper made everything very easy, and I could go directly into Audacity with the Axe FX II. The AX8 is too much hassle so far.

Anyway, I still can't get it to work in Audacity. I can plug in my Kemper and it works just fine. I don't get it.

I have the Steinberg UR22 to and no issues. The problem with that interface is that it doesn't support direct stereo monitoring. To get that you'll need to run the signal through a DAW, send the signal back to main out, and turn the mix dial on the UR22 completely to the right (DAW). Then arm the track and have fun. Of course, the input gain must be set properly to get a good signal level without clipping.

I have the Steinberg UR22 to and no issues. The problem with that interface is that it doesn't support direct stereo monitoring. To get that you'll need to run the signal through a DAW, send the signal back to main out, and turn the mix dial on the UR22 completely to the right (DAW). Then arm the track and have fun. Of course, the input gain must be set properly to get a good signal level without clipping.

Well Sonar is no longer around -- or supported, so I've got Audacity now. I still cannot get Audacity to record right. I can plug my Kemper or anything else in and no problem. Plug my AX8, and it comes out all screwed up. I checked all the levels, read through the manual, and still can't get it to work right. I never tried an audio interface with Fractal before except the USB audio from my old Axe FX II, and that was no problem with Audacity. For whatever reason, my AX8 is problematic. I'm starting to wonder if it's defective.

I have the UR22 as well and haven't had any issues recording with the AX8 either, my DAW is Cubase LE AI Elements 7.

I just installed Audacity, started the program and without any additional setup had no problem getting a recording that sounds just like my AX8 through my monitors or headphones. The only 'issue' I had was it only came through the left channel since I hadn't set it up for mono.

I have the UR22 as well and haven't had any issues recording with the AX8 either, my DAW is Cubase LE AI Elements 7.

I'm starting to think it's an issue with Audacity. I'm going to have to buy some software I guess. I'm not a big fan of Cubase, and I don't have the money to spend a lot on software, so I'm thinking Studio One and a Presonus Studio 68 interface. I was checking out the Apollo Arrow, anyone know about that?

Well Sonar is no longer around -- or supported, so I've got Audacity now. I still cannot get Audacity to record right. I can plug my Kemper or anything else in and no problem. Plug my AX8, and it comes out all screwed up. I checked all the levels, read through the manual, and still can't get it to work right. I never tried an audio interface with Fractal before except the USB audio from my old Axe FX II, and that was no problem with Audacity. For whatever reason, my AX8 is problematic. I'm starting to wonder if it's defective.

Just a note... Sonar is alive and well as Cakewalk by Bandlab. They picked it up and have released an updated version. Free now actually. Check it out...

https://blog.bandlab.com/cakewalk-by-bandlab-press-release/

How are you connecting the AX8 to the UR22?

Guitar > AX8 input
AX8 main (L) > UR22 input (L) - Tried both 1/4" cable and XLR and same results

Just a note... Sonar is alive and well as Cakewalk by Bandlab. They picked it up and have released an updated version. Free now actually. Check it out...

https://blog.bandlab.com/cakewalk-by-bandlab-press-release/

Didn't know it got picked up by another company. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Listening to the clips a couple more times it sounds like the AX8 preset could use some refinement. With the exception of the AX8 clip being lower in level, It doesn't sound like there's any evidence of an interface or DAW issue; e.g. clipping, extraneous noise, etc....

Listening to the clips a couple more times it sounds like the AX8 preset could use some refinement. With the exception of the AX8 clip being lower in level, It doesn't sound like there's any evidence of an interface or DAW issue; e.g. clipping, extraneous noise, etc....

Yeah because I recorded the AX8 clip with Cakewalk since I can't record it with Audacity. The Kemper clip was recorded with Audacity. I didn't change any of the stock settings with the exception of lowering the gain of the BE patch for a cleaner sound at the first part of the clip. The point wasn't to try and make a good recording or anything, just to show that Audacity was working fine with the Kemper.

As I mentioned earlier, I didn't have any trouble using the AX8 into the UR22 and recording with Audacity. If you're able to record the Kemper then simply plug into the AX8 and not get a decent recording using Audacity is a bit baffling.

Back
Top Bottom