Recording guitars: What's your preferred method

Recording guitar

• Total voters

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
Posing this question as I'm getting myself back more regularly with my DAW and have been considering an optimal approach for recording. My old engrained habit is laying tracks in mono (double tracking rhythms /hard panning) and adding stereo f/x after in the DAW via send fx tracks. know it's all preference and there are strengths/drawbacks to each. Curious as to what is your usual method of recording guitar. Mono? Stereo? How are you handling stereo fx? Would love to see your comments as to what you choose and why. For example, i know many use the Axe Fx USB and as such stereo is often used. I guess to be more specific , if you were going to sit down and make a proper project in your DAW what do you typically do? Also curious about your use of Axe presets. Create a specific preset that handles your recording sessions? Or say use a stereo preset and sum L/R , remove/disable stereo effects, and have your audio interface (if using one other than Axe fx and using analogue) just listen to the left output from axe fx.

Depends on how I’m feeling that day.

Lately I’m splitting between mono tracks/double or quad tracked, or double tracking stereo tracks that have different amps/cabs panned hard l/r.

For leads I almost always do a stereo track as I print all my effects to tape (I dunno what the modern phrase of that is), I never do separate wet/dry tracks.

I’ve gotten great results doing it each way, so it really just depends on my mood that day. What I really like doing with the dual amp rigs is recording the first track and then reversing the cabs for the double track, that way each cab ends up on each side and it fills everything out nicely, but I have an aversion to hearing different sounds on each side, so that might just be me being weird.

I for one like stereo modulation effects before the amp so I go about and create presets with two different amps panned hard left and right. I’m not a big fan of double tracking intricate parts because of the inevitable loss of clarity (unless you are Mr. Rhoads of course) and two different amp/cab combinations panned hard l/r absolutely sound wide enough for me. I seldom use the Enhacer block and only in the modern setting because I’m a absolute phase-issue-a-phobic.

I almost always track electric guitars dry and mono. For a wide, stereo part, I'll double-track and I might even throw in another pair of takes since everything is already setup. In fact, I tend to double-track (or more) everything even if I don't end up using the extra track(s).

I find mono dry tracks make hearing problems/mistakes easier.

There was a time when I would print effects, but that had more to do with the lack of CPU power back in the day and the quality of post-processing plugins has grown to the point where it's not necessary.

Last edited:
I don't do a lot of recording but I voted Stereo. I actually like to use both when multiple guitar parts are played. I don't use a lot of time based effects post production on electric guitars so the preference is stereo for foundational guitar parts, mono for solo/lead/melodic parts.

It depends on what the song calls for, but I will usually record at least stereo out of the AxeFx through my UAD Apollo, and I'll generally have a mono DI track as well. Sometimes, I'll use it for re-amping through the AxeFx, and sometimes, I'll use plugins. Sometimes I'll double track (or more), sometimes not. Most of my recordings are song-driven as opposed to guitar driven.

I always record a mono DI track with stereo AxeFx. All the usual doubling etc.

Here is a good tip though.

Turns out I had that vid bookmarked on my YT. I like Warren's vids and this was a neat trick that stood out. I have forgotten to try it out. Back on my radar again. Using the bass that way very neat. Reminds me of that one technique that is sometimes used of having a single synth line under the main notes to have that extra weighted layer

Posing this question as I'm getting myself back more regularly with my DAW and have been considering an optimal approach for recording. My old engrained habit is laying tracks in mono (double tracking rhythms /hard panning) and adding stereo f/x after in the DAW via send fx tracks. know it's all preference and there are strengths/drawbacks to each. Curious as to what is your usual method of recording guitar. Mono? Stereo? How are you handling stereo fx? Would love to see your comments as to what you choose and why. For example, i know many use the Axe Fx USB and as such stereo is often used. I guess to be more specific , if you were going to sit down and make a proper project in your DAW what do you typically do? Also curious about your use of Axe presets. Create a specific preset that handles your recording sessions? Or say use a stereo preset and sum L/R , remove/disable stereo effects, and have your audio interface (if using one other than Axe fx and using analogue) just listen to the left output from axe fx.

I think your question could be rephrased as "Do you record effects from the Axe-FX?". I would answer with what is probably already obvious: for maximum flexibility, record wet, dry, and DI tracks. OTOH, if you're confident you won't need to change the tone or effects later, just lay down a wet track.

As for your literal question of stereo vs mono, I always use stereo. There's almost nothing to be gained by recording a mono track. Even if you're going to hard pan it, you can either mute one channel or simply pan the stereo audio. Also, in some DAWs it's easier to add stereo effects if the track was originally created as a stereo track. If you've seen my reamping tutorial, I even recommend recording the DI in stereo.

"The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is." -- Eddie Van Halen

I use whatever the song calls for. I've tried dry DI through an Edirol or Behringer box with various plugins, reamping with the FM3, using full wet effects (tasteful and never too much) from my FM3 in mono or stereo, and all of the above. All have their place and really can make or break the guitar sound. Fortunately, during the demo or scratch track process it's fairly easy to try the different tones and determine what works best for the song or group of songs that I'm working on.

Lately, my FM3 is just perfect for the sound I want. To my ears, it's just more authentic and organic sounding. I'll often start with a preset and tweak slightly based on the guitar I'm using, plus try different IR's. I also experiment with high/low cuts in the cab block vs. in the DAW. I kind of like doing it in the DAW so that when I'm mixing I have more control over finding the frequency cut sweet spots and then notching down some of the competing frequencies in the mids.

Sometimes, plugins are better for a song. I've already spent way too much on guitar plugins including Neural DSP, Audio Assault, Plugin Alliance, Bogren, and Amplitube, but it's nice to have options. The Neural plugins seem to have a lot of hype behind them, but really do sound quite good most of the time. And they come with some really good presets which shortens the tone tweaking process. I also picked up the Bogren one knob plugin which I find sounds pretty bad on it's own but often really good in a mix.. (imagine that?!)... and the Rockman from the Amplitube Joe Satriani collection usually sounds great when filling out a guitar sound or when nothing else seems to sound right.

FWIW, after many years of home recording I have found that the recordings that age the best are the ones that, 1. were mixed listening both in mono and stereo (so they are more balanced and transferrable across different audio systems like car, home stereo, USB device, boombox, etc., 2. have less gain on the guitars (less is more), and 3. were mixed at higher and lower volumes on a nice set of studio monitors (I use the Kali LP6's). My ears also tend to love guitar and drums. So I have to check myself and make sure neither overpower the mix. Nothing tires my ears more than the guitars or drums being too loud.

Anyway, hope this has some value.

I always do my rhythm guitars as mono and double them, and pan them wide. It does not matter if they are crunch, heavily distorted, or clean.

Bass guitar I always do a mono track, and the DI and I use the DI with an amp plugin in the box and put an eq before the amp plugin and cut everything below 400 and everything above 2500hz then dial in an SVT in the plugin to get that mid byte that I add in just enough of the channel with the SVT I dialed in for more low end and pull out a bunch of mids in the AX3.

I like to add stereo delay, and a touch of a stereo chorus on my leads, so I usually record them in stereo with the delays being the main element that makes them stereo.

I only add a little bit of reverb in the box and send the guitar bus' to it, and I add a pultec on the lead and rhythm bus channels to give a little 60hz and a good bit of 5k for some sparkle.

I always record a DI for each track. This way I can reamp if I need to. Or I can use that in a creative way.

Last edited:
I always do my rhythm guitars as mono and double them, and pan them wide. It does not matter if they are crunch, heavily distorted, or clean.

Bass guitar I always do a mono track, and the DI and I use the DI with an amp plugin in the box and put an eq before the amp plugin and cut everything below 400 and everything above 2500hz then dial in an SVT in the plugin to get that mid byte that I add in just enough of the channel with the SVT I dialed in for more low end and pull out a bunch of mids in the AX3.

I like to add stereo delay, and a touch of a stereo chorus on my leads, so I usually record them in stereo with the delays being the main element that makes them stereo.

I only add a little bit of reverb in the box and send the guitar bus' to it, and I add a pultec on the lead and rhythm bus channels to give a little 60hz and a good bit of 5k for some sparkle.

I always record a DI for each track. This way I can reamp if I need to. Or I can use that in a creative way.
Which plugin do you like for SVT on bass?

Which plugin do you like for SVT on bass?
I use Presonus Ampire. I really like it for little touches like what I mentioned, like fills or a little texture or adding in some missing parts in another guitar tone. Luckily it came with the pro version of Studio One so I did not have to get it separately. There are also a few nice free ones out there as well.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...d0nBhc9CisxsFsrJQQhoCTW4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

You can grab the Brainworx svt (for free, for until Feb 19th) and see if that works for you:
https://www.musicradar.com/news/get-the-ampeg-svt-vr-bass-amp-plugin-for-free-instead-of-dollar99

The code does not work, but it is 19.99 and the BX stuff from plugin alliance is really good stuff.

Last edited:
I use Presonus Ampire. I really like it for little touches like what I mentioned, like fills or a little texture or adding in some missing parts in another guitar tone. Luckily it came with the pro version of Studio One so I did not have to get it separately. There are also a few nice free ones out there as well.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...d0nBhc9CisxsFsrJQQhoCTW4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

You can grab the Brainworx svt (for free, for until Feb 19th) and see if that works for you:
https://www.musicradar.com/news/get-the-ampeg-svt-vr-bass-amp-plugin-for-free-instead-of-dollar99

The code does not work, but it is 19.99 and the BX stuff from plugin alliance is really good stuff.
Good info - thanks!

One of my way to record guitar sound is --> the sound need to bee as good as possible already when it goes to my computer/daw and there no need to make any after modifying (sometimes of course fixing something). So I usually don´t make other track as raw-sound. And recording always stereo way.

It's really hard to beat the sound of double or quad tracked mono panned guitars for a lot of the music I like to make. No substitute really. That said...

If I'm being complete honest about my laziness, I've also taken more plastic-sounding wet effect presets and recorded them in Reaper as a Stereo track and what you can do in Reaper is right click on the stereo track Pan knob and change from "Stereo Balance" to "Stereo Pan." Especially snagging the @Cooper Carter Dual Detune block from the Petrucci Rig, which I've replaced soooo many Chorus blocks with because I love how that sounds. Seems to record well too. I usually do this if I split tracks using Moises.ai and want to mess around recording a quick cover for fun.

Back
Top Bottom