Recording Guitars Questions

shep

Inspired
I'm trying to learn more about recording possibilities using my Ultra. So far I've only recorded through the amps/fx. This is kinda frustrating, as I've not gotten the tone I'm looking for, and have to replay a good take evey time. I assume that w/ the Axe input, I have no need for a reamp box. Please advise if my assumption made an %#$ out of me... Please add any additional advice/tips you think of. I know - alot to ask, but this is the place to get theanswers. Thanks! - Shep

1) Do you record just your guitar for reamping through Axe later, or do you record the amp sound from Axe?

2) If you use the amp sound to track, do you record the fx as well, or do you send the track back through the Axe afterward?

2) If you record the guitar for reamping, what RMS level should I be hitting to achieve a 'correct' level when feeding it back to the Axe?

3) Do you use anything in the Axe to raise the dry guitar level going to track if it's too low?

1) I go both ways, depends of what I record for, there's no rule.

2) So far I haven't added FXs separately from amp sound but I guess many do that as well.

3) Not sure of RMS level but you should tickle red in input just like when going into AxeFx with your guitar

4) I've found input knob to be just enough for adjusting dry level coming in AxeFx, tho you can use filers and such.

If I want to save a riff than I would record the amp sound with fx. For every serious recording I always would record the direct guitar signal while monitoring the processed signal.

For listening to the recorded tracks I would use some amp plugins for your daw. Personal I use Pod Farm but there are free ones on the net. When the a track is completed and all cutting and mergin is done then I would reamp the whole track with the sound I used for recording or the one I like better. Remove the plugin and mute the line guitar track (keep it save, you'll need it again if you want another sound on this track or you have found a mistake and redo a few bars of recording).

All recording I do via SPDIF so I don't care about the output level. Reamping is also done with SPDIF so everything should be fine. For reamping you always can adjust the input knob like you would plugging in a guitar.

Digital reamping for me works pretty well. Did our whole last CD (placidsilence.bandcamp.com) this way. But it is very time consuming for a whole CD at once. That's why I suggest to find the final sounds early and reamp as soon as a track or song is finished.

Ah yes you don't need a reamp box with the axe.

Back
Top Bottom