Recording Guitar + DI + SM57 in DAW

Hi there,

I'm using a AXE-FX II and, from what I've read, I understand that some people we're able to make this setup work (i think so).

I want to keep using the AXE-FX II as my main interface while adding a dynamic microphone to this setup, instead of purchasing a dedicated interface.

My goal is to record WET/DRY guitar tracks and a SM57 at the same time, processed independently. I've been able to feed the microphone, connected to Input 2 Left, directly to output 2 but for some reason my DAW (Cubase) isn't picking it up.

Thanks a lot !1712851697864.png

You have the output level turned down to zero in your send block. That will prevent the mic audio from reaching the usb output.

You have the output level turned down to zero in your send block. That will prevent the mic audio from reaching the usb output.
I think this is an "understanding the USB output channels" issue, with signal flow from In 2 to Out 2 via feedback send/return. "Send Level" sets the level sent to the Feedback Return block (which should have Mix turned up as well) but there's no way to record the Out 1 & Out 2 signals over USB simultaneously. USB channels 3/4 are always the Input 1 signal without any further processing.

Potential workarounds might be mono gtr. + mic recorded from USB 1/2, or physically cabling Out 2 to In 1R so the processed mic signal can be recorded from USB channel 4 (after setting Input 1 Mode to Stereo and adjusting a few things so the mic signal doesn't interfere with the guitar signal).

I think this is an "understanding the USB output channels" issue, with signal flow from In 2 to Out 2 via feedback send/return. "Send Level" sets the level sent to the Feedback Return block (which should have Mix turned up as well) but there's no way to record the Out 1 & Out 2 signals over USB simultaneously. USB channels 3/4 are always the Input 1 signal without any further processing.

Potential workarounds might be mono gtr. + mic recorded from USB 1/2, or physically cabling Out 2 to In 1R so the processed mic signal can be recorded from USB channel 4 (after setting Input 1 Mode to Stereo and adjusting a few things so the mic signal doesn't interfere with the guitar signal).
Thanks a lot Bakerman,

I've read a lot of your replies throughout this forum and you're truly a Axe-Master. If i understand correctly, what i've been trying to achieve in the past fews days is not possible. Meaning, having a processed microphone + wet guitar + DI all recorded on 3 separate tracks, without bleeding into each other, at the same time.

The only way to do this would be to purchase a dedicated interface, and get back to a ASIO4ALL workflow instead of using the Axe-FX as my main interface. :(

Thanks for you reply,

When the "Output Level" is turned up, the signal is sent into "Output 1". When it's turned down, it's sent to "Output 2".

I don't understand what you're saying isn't working for you. The problem is you need to turn up the send block level (or put the send in a parallel path). That will allow you to record your mic. I'm assuming your guitar is mono, so just pan that left and the mic right, and record the mic and guitar into two separate mono tracks, usb 1 and 2. If you also want to record a DI, simply record that onto a 3rd track at the same time.

I don't understand what you're saying isn't working for you. The problem is you need to turn up the send block level. That will allow you to record your mic. I'm assuming your guitar is mono, so just pan that left and the mic right, and record the mic and guitar into two separate mono tracks, usb 1 and 2. If you also want to record a DI, simply record that onto a 3rd track at the same time.
Understood. I was desperate trying to find a work around without having to pan everything. I guess i was ovethinking this.:(

If you set USB/Digi Out Source to Output 2 and route like this, you can balance the guitar & mic signals L/R in the FX Loop block and record them as USB channels 1 & 2. Then you'll be able to monitor guitar normally (panned center, or not) from Output 1, without any mic signal reaching Output 1.

gtrmicroute.png

If you set USB/Digi Out Source to Output 2 and route like this, you can balance the guitar & mic signals L/R in the FX Loop block and record them as USB channels 1 & 2. Then you'll be able to monitor guitar normally (panned center, or not) from Output 1, without any mic signal reaching Output 1.

View attachment 138564
You're a legend, i'll give this a try !

Back
Top Bottom