Recording Axe FX III to Logic Pro X

Your Apollo has ADAT and you can get a spdif-to-ADAT adapter if you want to track through the channel strip instead of applying it after recording. But of course the latter has the advantage of being more flexible. I agree with Mr_Fender...it's probably the channel strip you're reacting to. I've never heard of anybody liking the sound of D/A/D conversion :).
It seems the Apollo Twin will accept SPDIF or ADAT depending on settings in the UI console. Do you have a recommendation for an SPDIF to Toslink converter?

I believe the digital in on the Apollo is optical, so you'll probably need a coaxial to optical adapter for SPDIF. You'll need two (or a dual channel one) to do both SPDIF IN and OUT.

I don’t think Apollo does SPDIF out. Only in.
Most Apollo models have ADAT in and out, but not all. If you’re using an Apollo, you’re probably on a Mac, so you can use an aggregate (configuration 4 in the recording guide) if you want a rig suitable for doing reamping but don’t have ADAT output.

Most Apollo models have ADAT in and out, but not all. If you’re using an Apollo, you’re probably on a Mac, so you can use an aggregate (configuration 4 in the recording guide) if you want a rig suitable for doing reamping but don’t have ADAT output.
Apollo Twin is digital input only. Not sure about the other UAD stuff.

Not sure about the other UAD stuff.
All Apollo models except the Twin have ADAT out (except the Solo of course, which has no ADAT). As I mentioned, you can use an aggregate (configuration 4 in the recording guide) if you want a rig with an audio interface suitable for doing re-amping your Axe-FX but don’t have ADAT or spdif output.

All Apollo models except the Twin have ADAT out (except the Solo of course, which has no ADAT). As I mentioned, you can use an aggregate (configuration 4 in the recording guide) if you want a rig with an audio interface suitable for doing re-amping your Axe-FX but don’t have ADAT or spdif output.

If I create an aggregate device with:

1) Axe FX to computer via USB
2) Axe FX to UAD Apollo Twin via optical, then Apollo to computer via Thunderbolt

And if I record a wet signal and DI, will the two signals be aligned? I’ve heard a lot about the Axe USB introducing latency.

If you follow the instructions to adjust for the Axe-FX latency reporting bug, the alignment will be fine. Note there's no need for your #2 when using an aggregate as in configuration 4. That connection would only be needed for configuration 5.

Edit for 2024: The latency bug was fixed a couple of years ago in an Axe-FX firmware update, so adjustment is no longer required.

Last edited:
I'm having a weird issue tracking from AxeFX III to my M1 Mac Mini running Logic Pro X. This used to work just fine, but there seems to be something strange happening with either the sample rate or clock. The AxeFX output 48 kHz, and I set my project to that. I have a USB cable connected between the AxeFX and computer. I'm getting a horrible fizzy distortion (like a bitcrusher effect) when monitoring my signal or recording. I've checked to ensure the signal isn't clipping. What am I missing here? Running current FW and updated the USB FW in the AxeFX as well.

I can see that the AxeFX output isn't clipping via its own signal path (I am checking with the meters, and with AxeEdit), and when I listen to the AxeFX via headphones, it sounds great. I know it's not my monitors, as they sound great for everything else, including playback of previously recorded stuff in Logic. Nothing else is clipping in the signal chain, but it sounds horrible and fizzy when I monitor the input signal in Logic, and it's also present on the newly recorded track. I feel like it's got to be something related to sample rate, but I can't find any mismatch.

Back
Top Bottom