Recording Axe FX II in Garage Band?

jasoneldon

Hey guys, Im new to home recording and the proud new owner of an Axe FX II. Ive been sitting with the manual at my computer for hours and i can seem to figure out how to do direct recording via the Axe FXs USB. Im running the Axe Fxs USB into my Mackbook Pro and for monitoring i have a pair of M Audio Bx8's which are connected to my computer via the headphone jack.

I was just wondering if any of you much more experienced people could give me a dumbed down version of how to record guitar tracks with the Axe through Garage Band? Any help would be REALLY appreciated

Thanks boys!

Jay

Its super easy...
To get started, connect your USB cable, open GarageBand, select GarageBand (upper left corner), Preferences, and change the Audio Input to Axe-Fx II Audio In.
Then choose New Track > Real Instrument. Click the red record button on the bottom of the screen and start playing. You will find your iTunes music and lots of other clips/loops over on the right side of the screen. GarageBand is actually really easy to use - just play around with it and have fun!

One other thing... if you have not done so already, be sure to download the Mac OSX USB Driver for the Axe II. Your USB connection will not work without it. It can be found on the main website support page.

I think you'll run in to problems with the sampling rate of GB vs. the Axe via USB. It "works" but you will get some weird clicks and pops.

I think you'll run in to problems with the sampling rate of GB vs. the Axe via USB. It "works" but you will get some weird clicks and pops.
I have not run into any click or pop issues recording with GarageBand. The only issue I've ever encountered is low disk space - which causes the track to stop during the recording or playback. If you run into this issue, choose GarageBand > Preferences > Audio/Midi. Choose Optimize For Maximum Number Of Simultaneous Tracks - Large Buffer Size. Next choose (Preferences menu) > Advanced. Select either Good or Better for Audio Resolution and set the number of tracks to 8, 8, 10 (the lowest possible). Honestly, I never have issues with disk space or audio quality while recording on my Macbook Pro (2012 model - pretty fast), but I occasionally have disk space issues with my older and much slower iMac desktop.

Last edited:
Hey guys! So I'm also having issues recording in garageband with my Axe Fx II. I already installed the drivers, but when I go into garageband/preferences/and then try to change the audio input to the Axe Fx II, it doesn't come up. My only options are built-in input or system setting. I've had this thing for a while and can't get it hooked up to my computer at all! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Try starting GB after plugging in the Axe (and determining Axe as audio in for the mac).

It just worked with 10.6.8 and GB 6.0.5

After doing this once, GB recognized the Axe.

Works like a charm here.. No clicks or pops. I like GB for a clean unaltered demo sound. S..t in s..t out etc.

Make sure you have the USB drivers installed.

Start up your Mac and plug in the USB cable AFTER starting up GB. It should recognize the Axe FX II as a new audio driver. If it has recognized it properly, then you should go into the MIDI preferences (Hit Preferences under "Garageband" and then go to the MIDI tab) and change the output to your internal speakers on the Mac (both the input and output will say Axe FX 2), which will, in turn let you hear what you play out of your monitor speakers.

As previously mentioned, you can then create a "New Track" and select "real instrument" which should then default to the Axe FX 2.

I currently record with a Yamaha TH10 and also a Zoom G3 (while I save for an Axe FX 2), and once in a blue moon I get that popping and also some latency, but it's usually just a memory glitch and restarting GB fixes it right away.

Have fun! Once you get it all set up, please let me know how it sounds! If anything else comes up, let me know.

With the new track, when you select Real Instrument, you'll also need to select the input at the bottom of that window...

New here also having issues with garageband

With the new track, when you select Real Instrument, you'll also need to select the input at the bottom of that window...

It's not working for me either bought my AXE FX 2 yesterday love it but installed drivers and everything suggested but no Axe Fx as option

in the preferences, i am running garage band 4.1.2 ?

Thanks

Hey guys! So I'm also having issues recording in garageband with my Axe Fx II. I already installed the drivers, but when I go into garageband/preferences/and then try to change the audio input to the Axe Fx II, it doesn't come up. My only options are built-in input or system setting. I've had this thing for a while and can't get it hooked up to my computer at all! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Have you figured it out i am having no luck with my garage band either?

Does Gargae Band work on a regular PC? I am running Windows and just curious, because I'd love to lay down some tracks. I added a video to You Tube playing the Randy Rhoads guitar solo for "Tonight", but just recorded it live with my Cell Phone:lol :miserable:

It would sound so much better if I recorded it and then did the fake guitar solo performance fr the video camera:mrgreen

Check it out here, if you would like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bDSWhB0JH4

Does Gargae Band work on a regular PC? I am running Windows and just curious, because I'd love to lay down some tracks. I added a video to You Tube playing the Randy Rhoads guitar solo for "Tonight", but just recorded it live with my Cell Phone:lol :miserable:

It would sound so much better if I recorded it and then did the fake guitar solo performance fr the video camera:mrgreen

Check it out here, if you would like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bDSWhB0JH4

Nice solo on tonight one of my favorite RR solos, whats your preset setting?

Hi!
When I record with Garage Band, the track is quite low. Is there a way to adjust the volume?
if you are recording via USB, the track volume is the actual level of the preset. increase the Preset volume by increasing the Level parameter in the Amp block, but not too high that it clips.

Back
Top Bottom