Recording advice with Axe Fx?

I do everything 24-bit, 48 kHz. I always have since I went digital ~15 years ago. These are the defaults in my preferences so new projects automatically have these settings. 24-bit provides greater headroom and a lower noise floor and this helps when summing lots of tracks on the master bus and of course when recording analog microphone tracks. Frankly I don't know that I can tell the difference between 16-bit and 24-bit raw Axe-FX tracks but for me it is easier to keep everything 24-bit.

I've never felt the need to go to a higher sampling rate but there can be benefits. 96 kHz is the standard for a lot of 5.1 mixes. Also Ronan Chris Murphy has a video about "air" EQ where boosting 40 kHz (for example) affects the frequency response in the audible part of the spectrum due to the bell shape of the boost and so forth. Otherwise it is much more resource intensive. I only have a MBP and not a 12-core tower with supplemental DSP (UAD, Protools or whatever) so resource management is important (maybe I should go to 16-bit, ha ha).

Any DAW will do. Just make sure you know the sample rate, bit depth, file format and file location. And the file names. The raw audio can be exported for use in any other DAW.

The quality of recordings with USB can be superb, absolutely professional, assuming you are printing the right sound to begin with.

Hello everyone. I have an issue about recording via usb with axe fx II. While I play I get fantastic sound. But when I record it it sounds not as same as live sound. I record stereo. Is there anything I can do?
p.s. I use Cubase

Back
Top Bottom