Record stereo to separate tracks?

rmp5s

Inspired
I've had my II for years but I noticed something today...in my DAW, over USB, there are 4 selectable inputs from the Axe-FX...1 through 4. I usually just use 1 (or 3 to record dry), but...what do the others do? No matter what I did in AxeEdit OR my DAW, the audio from 1 and 2 was the same. Is there a way to be able to have one row of amp/cab/effects/etc route to 1 and another row route to 2? I would think this is the way it's supposed to work but I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

I had 1 track set as Axe input 1 and another track set as Axe input 2...they both sounded the same despite running two amps, cabs, etc in AxeEdit. I tried hard panning every way possible...routing separatelyeverything I could think of. Nothing worked.

I bet it's something simple, too...:laughing:

It's probably that you need to select Input 1L and 1R:

View attachment 90856
Hmm...where do you mean?

Looking at the doc you posted, I see the input 1-4 that I see in my DAW (which...wouldn't those be 'outputs' for the Axe?...) on the left but I'm not seeing anywhere to split the channel. I'm currently using 1 and 2 on the left but 1L and and 1R would make sense...I'm not seeing it though...how do you split the channel?

Hmm...where do you mean?

Looking at the doc you posted, I see the input 1-4 that I see in my DAW (which...wouldn't those be 'outputs' for the Axe?...) on the left but I'm not seeing anywhere to split the channel. I'm currently using 1 and 2 on the left but 1L and and 1R would make sense...I'm not seeing it though...how do you split the channel?
Make 2 mono channels in the DAW instead of a stereo channel.

I'm 99% sure there is no such thing as a "mono channel" in REAPER. Every channel has either mono or stereo inputs you can choose. I am choosing mono. Maybe I'll try stereo and pan it...

1635221688365.png

That doesn't seem to be it, either. That does what I've been doing, just on a single track. Instead of 2 tracks, one Audio In 1 and one Audio In 2, it looks like it just lumps them together on a single track.

1635221848454.png

that means your preset isn't panned correctly. upload it here and someone can help you with it.

This is the preset I've been messing around with. I tried panning everything every way I can think of but I'm thinking I've got something screwed up in there.

Attachments

• rmp5s Engl.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 5
This is the preset I've been messing around with. I tried panning everything every way I can think of but I'm thinking I've got something screwed up in there.
I'll have to defer to someone else. I no longer have an Axe Fx II...

Also, you didn't answer my other question ;)

Also, you didn't answer my other question ;)
Do you hear stereo effects in headphones from the Axe Fx directly?
Oh. Um. Yea. I have no idea. :laughing:

I don't remember ever going "hmm...I'm not hearing stereo", but I also don't use stereo effects much. So. I'll do some testing tomorrow. Again, I've had the thing literally for years but I'm starting to think I have had the thing set up incorrectly this whole time. lolol

did you pan the top cab full left and the bottom cab full right?

Are you sure your preset is stereo? Do you hear stereo effects in headphones from the Axe Fx directly?
Alright...did some testing and nope...no stereo. Something isn't right somewhere...

These are the settings for the top cab:

1635281809730.png

And these are the settings for the bottom cab:

1635281835634.png

The amps are both set up similarly as well:

1635281884420.png

1635281950091.png

I'm starting to think there's something I have to change in the Axe-FX itself, maybe something that can't be changed via AxeEdit. I'm going to download a manual and mess with it...see if I can figure anything out. Something is DEFINITELY not right.

Back
Top Bottom