Recommended Mic Preamp to record vocals thru axe?

VENMusica

Right now I am considering RNP 8380 and the Grace Design m101. Any other suggestions? Also, what is the best way to connect the preamp to axe? Would one cable come out as half a stereo recording or mono?

I’m using one of these plugged into input2. I record using the usb-audio from the axe3. By choosing different usb-in channels in the daw, I can choose if I want the dry mono mic signal, or a processed stereo signal chain from the axefx-preset.

Maybe not a premium preamp, but works nicely for home recordings.

IMG_5402.jpeg

The FMR RNP is a good preamp, set the axefx input to “copy L to R” and you’ll have a good mono input feeding any axefx blocks.
Admin M@ personally recommended the RNP to me when we were working on a support case a couple years ago.

I have a Grace Design M101, but that was just because I got a really good deal on it.

I use a Focusrite. I’ll record vocals then “re-amp“ them through the Axe. I have a vocal preset I’ve constructed with the studio compressor and eq. Then I’ll just add various effects like delays reverbs until I get it sounding the way I like it.

Have you considered using the Axe-Fx instead of a mic pre? There are some great options in there to build a vocal chain with. The amp block tube pre. Oh man, the compressors. The cab block with a null IR and the preamp options. Did I mention the compressors?
If you need phantom power check out the Rolls PB23 or PB223.

what is the best way to connect the preamp to axe?
Into one of the balanced inputs on the axefx, i.e. input 2 with an XLR cable if your mic pre has XLR out, or input 3/4 with a 1/4" TRS cable if your mic pre has 1/4" TRS out.

Would one cable come out as half a stereo recording or mono?
Mono. Just set the axefx input you're using to mono in the axefx settings.

Any other suggestions?
For recording guitar the axefx's USB generally works great. But once you start recording other devices the axefx quickly shows its limitations as a usb interface, particularly in the monitoring department. So my suggestion is to use a dedicated audio interface with good software control, mic pres, and SPDIF. For example the Scarlett 8i6 3rd gen is a great budget option and is cheaper ($200-250 on reverb) than either of those mic pres. This approach has several advantages:
  1. Software interface designed for building monitor mixes, i.e. much better workflow for this purpose
  2. Can use your speakers/headphones without the axefx connected and powered on
  3. No need for external hardware mic pres, but you can still use them into a balanced line input if you want.
  4. Recording/monitoring the axefx via SPDIF frees up the mic and line inputs on the interface for other gear
  5. No usb audio issues that I and many others have experienced when using axefx as an interface
  6. Can still easily route the mic input on the interface in/out of the axefx in real time with no conversions via SPDIF if you really want to (however most people use plugins for vocal processing as the workflow is better).
  7. SPDIF results in an identical recorded tone as when using USB i.e. no AD/DA conversions.
  8. Lower impedance headphone amp is able to drive lower impedance headphones more accurately
  9. Dual headphone outs with independent volume control and mixes

I don't disagree that a new generation could branch out into accommodating more than just guitar.
Whether or not FAS chooses to go beyond ostensibly guitar support...who knows.

Back
Top Bottom