Recommendations for FM9 live speaker/amp.

bigswifty

Inspired
Hey folks,

What do you recommend? I think I'd lean towards something that can push air over something as flat as can be. Lighter and more compact the better.

I have 2 Acoustic Image Coda amps. Should I just figure out a solution with those? Or sell and go FRFR?

Open to thoughts on this one. Cheers

The answer is that it depends on what you want. I have no experience with those speakers but if they work for what you need and they sound good I’d say stick with what you have. Search the term FRFR and you will find a multitude of threads on this general question.

I really like my EV PXM-12MP. I dial my tones in at home using that, and then as a monitor at gigs I'm hearing exactly what I'm sending FOH. Best of all worlds.

I used to disable cab modelling and go to a SS amp into a traditional guitar cab, because I was more comfortable with amp-in-the-room. The EV monitor is what I needed to fully transition to FRFR.

Hey folks,

What do you recommend? I think I'd lean towards something that can push air over something as flat as can be. Lighter and more compact the better.

I have 2 Acoustic Image Coda amps. Should I just figure out a solution with those? Or sell and go FRFR?

Open to thoughts on this one. Cheers

Do you plan for the audience to hear this speaker or is this just for your on stage monitoring?
Do you need to send a direct signal to a FOH board?

For me, it's on stage monitoring and I also send FOH a direct signal.

I prefer real amps/cabs. So I run a Mesa 1x12 Widebody and an Orange Pedal Baby. then I run another signal in the FM9 without a cab block to Out3, which goes to FOH. Need to do this on every preset. But I only have a couple so it's no big deal.

While my setup sounds good, I'd consider a combo amp that does the same kind of thing. (tech 21 power engine, line 6 catalyst, katana, etc). Because it's less stuff to carry. It might not sound as good, but I probably can't tell in a live setting.

However if you run direct to FOH and don't want to mess with 2 different signal paths, consider an FRFR solution so it can share the same signal path. Like the new Fender FR12. My friend has one and loves it. The lightest and most compact option is the Headrush 8 inch option. But my other friend has one, it gets the job done.

Pretty much like asking which flavor of ice cream should I try, everyone has their favorite! You posted that you have 2 Acoustic Image Coda amps so it sounds like you want stereo, lightweight and can mover air that has a guitar cab look!

If that's the case the latest flavor of the month is the Fender FR 10-12" There is a 26 page thread that is comparing it to the EV PXM 12 PM here

I had 2 Laney's and a Headrush, now I have the EV PXM and a Fender FR10, they are both great and the best I have found yet...
I do have a Blueamps Junior on the way ( was going to get the Cubo but the Junior came up on Reverb for way less), so we will see how that compares soon.

So difficult to answer. FWIW, I used QSC K12 for the last 7 years and was happy with the sound, but I wanted an “Amp Cab” look on the stage. I bought the Fender Tone Master FR-12 two weeks ago and I love it! With my PRS CE24, Loaded with Suhr PT Thronbuckers, via the FAS Friedman BE100 it sounds great, as well as my Fender Tele, with SD LaBrea P/U via FAS Morgan amp. Light weight and plenty loud. My unit came from Sweetwater and does not has the “Hiss problem”.

The answer is that it depends on what you want. I have no experience with those speakers but if they work for what you need and they sound good I’d say stick with what you have. Search the term FRFR and you will find a multitude of threads on this general question.
I appreciate this response (and all the others) - I have been talking myself into trying to get the results I need with what I have before spending any money, so this was good to read.

However, I had no idea the FR12 by Fender existed and now that I've seen it, it is pretty close to exactly what I'd want, should the above plan not work out! Thank you for all the great responses.

Back
Top Bottom