Recommendation for playing Bass

Miseria

Howdy.

Been playing my AX3 for primarily guitar for the last 6 months and my setup works fairly well for me. I have two options

1. KRK 5 studio monitors. I know they kinda suck but they do OK for what they are with guitar IMHO.
2. SD Powerstage 170 into a 2x12 cab w/ V30s. Sounds great for guitar.

Problem - neither of these sound decent for playing bass (which I've started to do more often). Thinking of just upgrading the studio monitors since anytime I played bass live I'd just go FoH and not really use a backline.

Would the HS8s do ok for bass? Or maybe the JBL 308P? Our would just adding a sub to my existing setup work better?

Or would be I better off looking at a passive FRFR cab and using my SD 170 to drive it? I've kind of blown my budget on guitars and gear this year so would like to keep this endeavor under 700ish.

I have a pair of HS7 with a sub, but prefer playing bass with headphones (HD 650). My problem is that the volume I need to start hearing bass well is just too loud for my apartment. I hate playing guitar in headphones, but bass sounds just right to me.

I have a pair of HS7 with a sub, but prefer playing bass with headphones (HD 650). My problem is that the volume I need to start hearing bass well is just too loud for my apartment. I hate playing guitar in headphones, but bass sounds just right to me.

I hadn't even thought about headphones...interesting.

How do you like the HS7 + sub for guitar? My Rokit5s are cool for messing with stereo effects but for guitar tone I prefer my power amp and cab

Well, I also prefer playing the real cab to the studio monitors.
Regarding the sub, it does not really enhance the tone a lot, but you do hear much better when your bass is excessive and you need to dial less bass ;)
I just felt like HS7 were not cutting it on their own when playing the whole mix, so I bought a sub and it helps. I would not buy it for guitar playing thought as I tend to cut most of the sub-lows anyways when tweaking the patches.

Back
Top Bottom