recommendation for best PA for FRFR

dschaaf

Experienced
Title should really read "recommendation for PA upgrade for FRFR"

Just wondering if there were any recommendations for good quality powered PA speakers (and possibly a sub) for use with my Axe FX II and AX8?

I am presently just playing in my home studio but am using:

1. Fryette Power Station II into a 2x12 cab (cab sims off)
2. Matrix GT1000FX into a 2x12 cab (cab sims off)
3. Matrix GT1000FX into a Matrix FR212 (cab sims on)
4. 2 x EV ELX112P's + Berhinger powered Sub. (cab sims on)

I used to have 2 CLR's active cabs (loved them) but sold them and now the are hard to get my hands on any.

I am really loving the sound of set up # 4 (PA) with stereo effects and am also using it for my Roland electronic drums and to play bass through. With the sub it sounds really fantastic!!

I guess I am wondering if there was anything you would recommend above the EV's… possibly higher end EV's or maybe something else, to provide a top-notch PA system? Just wanting to get something really good since it is so practical to cover various instruments plus vocals etc.

Thanks for your feedback,
D

Last edited:
I have Presonus 16.4.2 mixer and QSC K12s & KSubs in my jam room along w/the Axe-FX and Roland digital drums. It sounds great to me...(also, I've tuned the PA w/the Presonus board and RTA mic). We've recorded great demo tunes really quick w/this setup...

Excellent, thanks...I will check out the QSC K12's Ksubs as I have heard good things about them. usin

A PA speaker and a FRFR monitor are essentially the same thing, the better "FRFR" monitors are just a bit flatter. Now a guitar speaker is far from FRFR, so that is a different animal, and obviously its not going to sound great to run vocals, bass, etc all through a 4x12 guitar cab on stage.

QSC K10s or 12's, Alto's, EV's, CLR's, Mackie's, are all more or less the same thing and it just depends on budget and how much sound you need to deliver to how large of venue. Regardless of what you get, or how flat it is, your still going to need to tweak it a bit for the given venue acoustics, size of the crowd etc.

No audience needs reference level amplification. Essentially all you want is a clear sound, you can control, that keeps the lows tight, and has clear and crisp highs with no clipping or other distortion that can sound really ear fatiguing. Most all sound reinforcement on the market these days does pretty well. The days of finding an old Radio Shack or Peavey monitor with the big horn, hanging from chain link, largely has passed. I remember playing in those type of dives, and yes it did sound awful because they were crap, but even the "worst" aka low cost PA systems, like an Alto or Behringer sound pretty darn good.

For the Money I think Electro-voice has the best bang for the buck, but if money is no object, call up Meyer Sound

A PA speaker and a FRFR monitor are essentially the same thing, the better "FRFR" monitors are just a bit flatter. Now a guitar speaker is far from FRFR, so that is a different animal, and obviously its not going to sound great to run vocals, bass, etc all through a 4x12 guitar cab on stage.

QSC K10s or 12's, Alto's, EV's, CLR's, Mackie's, are all more or less the same thing and it just depends on budget and how much sound you need to deliver to how large of venue. Regardless of what you get, or how flat it is, your still going to need to tweak it a bit for the given venue acoustics, size of the crowd etc.

No audience needs reference level amplification. Essentially all you want is a clear sound, you can control, that keeps the lows tight, and has clear and crisp highs with no clipping or other distortion that can sound really ear fatiguing. Most all sound reinforcement on the market these days does pretty well. The days of finding an old Radio Shack or Peavey monitor with the big horn, hanging from chain link, largely has passed. I remember playing in those type of dives, and yes it did sound awful because they were crap, but even the "worst" aka low cost PA systems, like an Alto or Behringer sound pretty darn good.

For the Money I think Electro-voice has the best bang for the buck, but if money is no object, call up Meyer Sound

Excellent, thank you! I do like the EV ELX112P's that I presently have and may just look to upgrade to a higher end speaker in the EV line-up :)

Excellent, thank you! I do like the EV ELX112P's that I presently have and may just look to upgrade to a higher end speaker in the EV line-up :)
You are pretty close to the point of diminishing returns with the ELX line, there will be a noticeable improvement moving up to the EKX or ETX but once you get to that level its pretty much just whichever one you like the sound of more.

Keep in mind that the QSC K12 has a 75 degree conical dispersion pattern so you may not get the coverage you want if running a stereo PA. Most other PA systems that are in the same range ar 60x90 degree.

You are pretty close to the point of diminishing returns with the ELX line, there will be a noticeable improvement moving up to the EKX or ETX but once you get to that level its pretty much just whichever one you like the sound of more.

Keep in mind that the QSC K12 has a 75 degree conical dispersion pattern so you may not get the coverage you want if running a stereo PA. Most other PA systems that are in the same range ar 60x90 degree.

Awesome, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom