Recommend me some actual speakers for this actual cab..

Georgy

Inspired
Hey guys,

Going down the stereo path and picked up this unloaded VHT 2x12 cab, which is semi-open back.

HOWEVER, I've already got a Friedman 2x12 loaded with V30s, (8ohms, closed back) so I don't necessarily need to get matching V30s in this VHT cab...... well, I could, but I'm keen to get something a little different too.. mix things up a bit so they compliment each other.

I may at some point seal the cab up so that it's closed back as well, but not necessary to do so..

Lastly, I'll be running these two cabs off my ENGL 50w x 2 power amp + Axe ii.. I prefer to have this cab as an 8ohm cab as well so that both 2x12's are the ohms. I generally play hard/heavy metal etc, but in the same time, a 'good all-rounder' would be fine too.

Any input/opinion is welcomed :)

George

Nothing against EV12Ls (I actually have them in a couple of 1x12 cabs for my 'conventional' rig) but they do need a bit of welly thrown at them and they might overpower the V30 loaded cab. They also weigh an absolute ton - so putting 2 in a single cab will certainly give you a workout when transporting.

The G12M-65 or G12H-75 are reputed to be good compliments to V30s and are in the same ballpark wattage wise. Maybe try some mix'n'matching using Cab IRs in your AxeFX for an approximation on how the real thing might turn out?

For hard or heavy metal in an open back cab is kind of a tough call. You didn't mention if you are drop tuning your guitars? If so I would have to agree with the EV12L's and they do weigh a ton but it is a more neutral speaker that will offer you more flexibility.

The other issue is sensitivity, that speaker is a little bit more efficient as well so they will be louder than the V30's but it's nothing that the volume knob can't fix. I would look to higher wattage speakers for he open back so they don't fall apart as quick.

Thanks for the responses guys - appreciate it.

I've picked up pair of V30s for cheap, so I'm gonna use those, AND I'll end up sealing up the back to make it closed back :) That should do the trick.

Thanks again guys :D

Thanks for the responses guys - appreciate it.

I've picked up pair of V30s for cheap, so I'm gonna use those, AND I'll end up sealing up the back to make it closed back :) That should do the trick.

Thanks again guys :D

Hard to beat that tone, I have always been a V30 guy!

Back
Top Bottom