Recommend me a modern metal amp

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
im using the Friedman for my more vintage metal stuff like priest, maiden, sabbath. I'm looking for an amp model to use for higher gain sounds like newer priest (pain killer) and racer X, etc. the problem with just trying them out is most of the models sound terrible when I first dial em up so it's hard to just run through em. Thanks!

The new Randall amps may work for you? The Satan is a pretty intense one I've heard. I'm not sure if it has been made available on the expansion packs yet though?

none of those amps are in the Axe, and there is no such thing as an "expansion pack" for the Axe....

i mean, Misha uses the HBE for Periphery...doesn't get much more modern than that.

none of those amps are in the Axe, and there is no such thing as an "expansion pack" for the Axe....

i mean, Misha uses the HBE for Periphery...doesn't get much more modern than that.
Sorry I misspoke. I was referring to the Cab IR's and thought one may exist for the new Randall stuff.

I find the low end to be too loose on the hbe for modern high gain stuff. It's perfect for 80's though. I'll have to look up mishas setup. Maybe drive blocks will do it. Still, there's 242 amps to choose from, got to be some good metal amps right? I tried the Engl but it just sounds really dark despite eq.

fryette, euro uber, Herbies, triaxis stuff, fas moderns, 5153, dual rectifiers, the list goes oooooooooooooooooooon.

A good starting point may be Algrenadine's syrinx presets:
http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/search-results.php?search=syrinx&fields=all&products=1&setups=0
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/10-06-higain-comparison-11-different-amps.70740/
Amps used : RectoRed Vintage, DasMetal, Dizzy V4 4, Euro Uber, FAS Modern, Friedman HBE, Fryette D60 L, Plexi 100W High, PVH 6160 II, IIC+ Bright, RectoRed Modern.

Ah! don't discard the Friedmans, drive and cab blocks are crucial, with some tweakings can become your favourite

An old trick is to put a drive before the amp with gain at 0...experiment!

Last edited:
Seriously... check out the EVH 5150III, Monster amps... everyone I've ever seen play live with one (Metal or not) has sounded outstanding.

The AX8 5153 models sound great.... that JVM OD2 sounds mean, tight and bright too. HBE is a little creamy for Djent

Greetings Metal Fellows,

I agree 100%:
* Friedman HBE V1 + Fractal GB M160 for Heavy Metal '80 (Mark Day preset rules)

Check the below for more "modern" Metal:

* Spawn Nitrous 1 + Cali
* FAS 6160 + Cali
* 5153 100W Red + Cali

Thinking about buying more amp + cab packages? Before doing that just make sure you thoroughly explored all the AX8 standard amps and cabs. In my opinion there is more than enough.

Thor bless You.

I actually really like the fas brutal amp. I can't imagine the savage models being too dark, that amp gets disgustingly bright.

Other than that though I'm still looking also, just haven't had enough time to try it all out.

Back
Top Bottom