Recommend me a home studio recording/mixing PC

I'm looking to build my own home studio. For that I probably need a new dedicated desktop PC. Budget should be under a €1000, the less though the better, although I understand that quality costs money. For a DAW I plan to use Reaper. Don't bother to recommend me a Mac, I have zero interest in using them. I know how to assemble a PC, what I would like to know what kind of hardware I would need. What kind of motherboard, processor, memory, HDD's and other hardware would I need? Links to companies that sell premade for home recording PC's would also be welcome. I know Glenn Fricker once did a vid about one such a PC, I just can't seem to find it anymore.

Thanks in advance!
I built up multiple pc’s in the day...
Okay so you are a Reaper guy...what does Reaper recommend?
You’ve got these PC build businesses, I could care less...I wanna know what machine works best for your Reaper.
Ask them for a specific build they guarantee the operation of.

I use Cubase, so I don't know specifically how Reaper works, but I was looking to build a computer myself and can echo a lot of what the others are saying, basically
i7 processor
32 GB of Ram
SSD drive for operating system

One thing you should be aware of when buying a processor is how the software handles processing. For example, Cubase works better with processors that have better single core performance and actually has errors with anything more than a 6 core processor. Pro Tools can actually use the multiple processors and works better with Xeon type processors that tend to have less power per core, but you can use dual processors.

I purchased a $490 (including tax and shipping) gaming PC off of newegg that included a mouse and keyboard. AMD 6-core processor, 4gb RAM and some sort of low range graphics card that I can't remember right now. It works beautifully for gaming and recording and in a few weeks I'll be upgrading the RAM to 16gb (only a $140 hit). For it's price point and what is included I don't think you can get much better. However, if you're looking to get up to budget of ~$1000 then you can definitely get something way better.

I built up multiple pc’s in the day...
Okay so you are a Reaper guy...what does Reaper recommend?
You’ve got these PC build businesses, I could care less...I wanna know what machine works best for your Reaper.
Ask them for a specific build they guarantee the operation of.

As far as I've seen, Reaper does not really provide minimum requirements or system recommendations. It will run on just about anything. The core engine is very compact and stable, and performance will be proportional to system CPU and RAM availability. Slower systems will just handle less tracks, effects, etc. before dropouts. The whole Windows installer for Reaper is only about 12 megabytes. I'm currently running a 3.4 GHz i5 quad core CPU, 16 GB of RAM, dual 7200 rpm HDDs, on Windows 10 Pro x64 and I can run around 20 tracks with various VST plugins and instruments (compressors, EQ's, Addictive Drums, etc.) throughout without missing a beat. My projects are usually not very big, so I've never really tried to max out my system. I'll have to download some big tutorial projects and see how far I can go before it craps out.

As far as I've seen, Reaper does not really provide minimum requirements or system recommendations. It will run on just about anything. The core engine is very compact and stable, and performance will be proportional to system CPU and RAM availability. Slower systems will just handle less tracks, effects, etc. before dropouts. The whole Windows installer for Reaper is only about 12 megabytes. I'm currently running a 3.4 GHz i5 quad core CPU, 16 GB of RAM, dual 7200 rpm HDDs, on Windows 10 Pro x64 and I can run around 20 tracks with various VST plugins and instruments (compressors, EQ's, Addictive Drums, etc.) throughout without missing a beat. My projects are usually not very big, so I've never really tried to max out my system. I'll have to download some big tutorial projects and see how far I can go before it craps out.
Right, you appear knowledgable WRT “all things pc”...which I believe is critical to success.
My problem is I saw an Otari Radar system in a studio setting where it was under the gun in a big band session and I never forgot how
they bypassed the digital problem with dedicated hardware. Now I understand a home studio and digital tweaking is a different game, but
I still long for a dedicated box I guess. I remember succeeding one go with a mac and building preferences for removing all networking and non-music related apps, but most competent folks I know still miss things, and aren’t engineers, and pc hardware can be dodgy and who has the time if you aren’t a full time audio engineer, etc.

I’m not trying to make much of a point, but I wish recording and editing were as easy as the axe-fx. :)

Since the whole Meltdown and Spectre issues appeared I'm starting to contemplate using an AMD processor. Anyone know what the AMD counterparts are to the Intel Core I7 7700 and 8700 processors, with a 1151 motherboard socket?

I've decided to still go Intel. I have a different question. I'd like to be able to use more then 2 viewing screens for one large virtual desktop. Would I need a dedicated graphics card for that and which one can handle more then 2 outputs?

Would I need a dedicated graphics card for that and which one can handle more then 2 outputs?

All of my computers have built-in Intel graphics and all of them handle two displays perfectly fine. In fact, all laptops have been capable of this for ages.

I guess if you’re building a PC yourself your question may be more about having two actual physical outputs to plug cables into. I’m not sure which cards have that (haven’t built a PC for a very very long time), but I would consider a motherboard with Thinderbolt. That would give you the ability to connect additional displays even if there’s only one HDMI, and you’ll also benefit from smaller audio latency if you choose a TB interface.

I bought a new one in December from http://studiocat.com

I can build my own, but I'd much rather pay to have someone else figure out all the right combinations of MB, power supply, etc. that work well together and are dead silent.

Back
Top Bottom