Recommend Active Speaker for FXiii

sensemomo

Hi all, I am a new comer of FXiii and just start to learn how to manage it...lol.
My existing gear is Engl Ironball E606 amp with Engl E112 cab, the sound is very nice, crystal clear sweet tone.
If I plug in the FXiii through Engl amp, that's mean it could not be using FXIII sim amp and cab,
so I am thinking to purchase a pair of active speaker.
I am looking for Adam T7V speakers, my question is if 7 inch woofer could produce as good as head room compare with my existing 12 inch cab? If FXIII with active speakers could produce "realistic" tone compare with guitar amp with cab? thanks for your teaching.

When you run direct with a modeler you're recreating the signal from a mic on a guitar cab in another room, monitored through whatever speakers you're using. This is a much different sound than a live guitar cab in the room with you (which many people confuse with "real tubes"), and many people mistakenly blame the modeler for the different monitoring paradigm.

If you’re expecting a mic’d guitar signal through studio monitors to sound the same as a 412 guitar cab in the room with you, you’ll be very disappointed. But compare any recorded guitar tone through those monitors to the axefx direct through those monitors and you will be very pleased. In this sense guitar is no different than any other recorded instrument, you can monitor it like you’d monitor any other instrument in the studio: with studio monitors, hopefully in an acoustically treated room.

However if you want the axefx to sound like you’re playing it through your 412 cab in the room with you, disable the cab block and run an amp model into a good power amp and your 412 guitar cab in the room with you.

When you run direct with a modeler you're recreating the signal from a mic on a guitar cab in another room, monitored through whatever speakers you're using. This is a much different sound than a live guitar cab in the room with you (which many people confuse with "real tubes"), and many people mistakenly blame the modeler for the different monitoring paradigm.

If you’re expecting a mic’d guitar signal through studio monitors to sound the same as a 412 guitar cab in the room with you, you’ll be very disappointed. But compare any recorded guitar tone through those monitors to the axefx direct through those monitors and you will be very pleased. In this sense guitar is no different than any other recorded instrument, you can monitor it like you’d monitor any other instrument in the studio: with studio monitors, hopefully in an acoustically treated room.

However if you want the axefx to sound like you’re playing it through your 412 cab in the room with you, disable the cab block and run an amp model into a good power amp and your 412 guitar cab in the room with you.
Thanks Bro. If AXEFX plug in direct to Monitor speakers / FRFR, the sound quality is just like kistening CD and don't have such real amp / cab create more dynamics? I just wondering why some people said AXEFX with monitor speakers could replace the tradition guitar amp...lol

I just wondering why some people said AXEFX with monitor speakers could replace the tradition guitar amp...lol
FRFR is replacing the traditional Mic'd amp sound and is being done so for specific purposes, just as plugging a Power amp & Cab into the AxeFx is.

Use the appropriate method for the purpose that suits you. Lot's of people use the 4cm method for the best of all worlds.

For live use, replacing lugging around Pedal boards, Amps, Cabs, Cables etc. suits me just fine.
In my studio I use FRFR (Adam AX8's & Atomic CLR) , Power Amp/Cab combo and the 4cm method integrating my 'Traditional' Mesa gear.

That's the beauty of the AxeFX, it's as versatile as you want it to be.

Last edited:
I recommend using a Fender FR-12 or a EV PXM 12MP
I'll second that - the EVs sound nicer and more accurate while the FR-12 feels more like a traditional guitar cab in the low end. There's also a massive price difference between them. FWIW, I've ended up keeping a single FR-12 because I'm still more of a power amp - traditional guitar cab guy.

Back
Top Bottom