Recently discovered the wonders of the input trim

I use a tele with a Suhr SSH+ pickup in the bridge which has a crazy high output (17K) and I've been having trouble dialing in a clean tone especially on Fender amps. I had to run the input gain really low and the amp really thinned out and was way to bright. The only clean amp that had enough headroom was the Shiver Clean (great amp), but I was looking for more options.

After reading on the wiki, I've been messing around with the input trim and have been able to dial in some great tones since I'm able to boost the input gain now. I've even run the trim as low as .10 sometimes.

I'm sure lots of you guys have figured this out already, but in case someone hasn't, it really helps with higher output pickups.

After reading on the wiki, I've been messing around with the input trim and have been able to dial in some great tones since I'm able to boost the input gain now. I've even run the trim as low as .10 sometimes.

Thanx for reminding me of something I knew but seemed to have forgotten on my current adventure. I'm a long time single coil pickup user and have recently bought a humbucker instrument. As a result, I've been struggling to get good clean tones from my presets. Of course, the pickups are different beasts so needing to work at it a bit isn't a big surprise but I was starting with my usual presets and fighting with the steep learning curve.

All good. Your post has given me some new (forgotten) things to think about in that the gain control can impact tone but trim will not.

Thanx.

Thanx for reminding me of something I knew but seemed to have forgotten on my current adventure. I'm a long time single coil pickup user and have recently bought a humbucker instrument. As a result, I've been struggling to get good clean tones from my presets. Of course, the pickups are different beasts so needing to work at it a bit isn't a big surprise but I was starting with my usual presets and fighting with the steep learning curve.

All good. Your post has given me some new (forgotten) things to think about in that the gain control can impact tone but trim will not.

Thanx.

I've got the opposite issue, just went from HBs to SCs, and I find using different presets (even amps) makes a big difference. I am quickly coming up with different amps/presets for each guitar.

Some I can share (and use X/Y on amps), but really my SCs really shine with different amps (versus a HB-loaded (57/08s) PRS P24). I just found the Bogner (Euro) Blue Modern to be just great with my Brondel & Thornton Nowcaster (Ron Ellis custom PUps). Stumbled on it last night and it's my new favorite mid-hi gain for the SCs.

I've got the opposite issue, just went from HBs to SCs, and I find using different presets (even amps) makes a big difference. I am quickly coming up with different amps/presets for each guitar.

Some I can share (and use X/Y on amps), but really my SCs really shine with different amps (versus a HB-loaded (57/08s) PRS P24). I just found the Bogner (Euro) Blue Modern to be just great with my Brondel & Thornton Nowcaster (Ron Ellis custom PUps). Stumbled on it last night and it's my new favorite mid-hi gain for the SCs.

Please share... I have a couple of 3x single coil Strats and and a 57/08 loaded P24 which I was using mostly in the position 4 (SC neck and HB bridge). I've been using a HB2 recently with 58/15s so now it's HB all the way and I'm still searching for the tone I want. That said, I'm getting much closer using the ODS-100 amp.

I don't go that low with input trim but alot of times I pull back the input trim and up the gain to find that sweet spot in my head.
There is so much tone control in this beast...

Please share... I have a couple of 3x single coil Strats and and a 57/08 loaded P24 which I was using mostly in the position 4 (SC neck and HB bridge). I've been using a HB2 recently with 58/15s so now it's HB all the way and I'm still searching for the tone I want. That said, I'm getting much closer using the ODS-100 amp.

Sorry man, my bad writing - I wasn't very clear in my post in retrospect; I meant share an amp/preset between the two very different guitars by using the X/Y function. The S-stype w/ SC's is very recent to me, and previously all my patches were focused on the PRS.

For the PRS w/ 57/08s, I'd suggest to keep going after the tone you want. I run into 2x 2x12s with V30s so what I hear is going to be quite different. Most of my patches are edited factory presets or some I bought from fremen.

What I enjoy with the PRS is full HB sound (usually don't tap/blend those PUps now that I have the Nowcaster) with amps/presets regarding the Carol Ann OD(2?), Buttery, Boutique 1, FAS Modern, a Bogner Fishman w/ Chorus (for Moving Pictures), Plexis, even Smokin' patch (for Boston like stuff with JCM800?); JTM45 (which works well for both guitars although requires different BMT setting as well as input), various (clean) Fenders.

For the Strat w/ the Ellis', I've gone the traditional (SRV/EJ) Vibroverb (paired with a Super Reverb), and recently the Euro Modern Blue, Fender Bassman, and sometimes the Carol Ann (love this amp - something special in the harmonics), Two Rock, etc.

Good luck man and have fun - I could do this all day. ;)

If you're using the fenders, the amp defaults to the high input, bringing the input trim to .5 would equivicate the low input (which is what you would likely use HB's with to get a clean tone)

I recently setup a 5150 patch and tried to get it to clean up but ended up with something that sounded like half a tone.
Using a compressor at the start of the chain for the clean scene allowed me to dial back the hotness of the signal to get a much better clean tone.

Back
Top Bottom